Pourable/castable polyurethane for making bushings

88pathoffroad

Anyone have a line on affordable castable (liquid) polyurethane suitable for making or filling stock bushings? I've been looking around but the choices seem to be kinda unclear on what I should get and use.

I want to make my own diff drop bushings if possible, fill my trans mount and motor mounts, etc...

I got this from a friend's fix-it guide for repairing urethane bushings for this BMW control arms. I did a little research and found this company that makes certain urethane compounds from mix. http://www.itw-devcon.com.au/driver.asp?pa...exane+urethanes

The items he used were Flexane - 94 Liquid and Curing agent.

Hope this helps. :D

Chunk.

After doing a bunch of searching and reading, apparently the Flexane 94 is VERY stiff stuff. I should probably go with the Flexane 80 to save trouble later on down the road. Small amounts aren't that spendy, but it's about $30-50 for a kit. Ow. Still better than $150 for 4 bushings from SLR!

After doing a bunch of searching and reading, apparently the Flexane 94 is VERY stiff stuff. I should probably go with the Flexane 80 to save trouble later on down the road. Small amounts aren't that spendy, but it's about $30-50 for a kit. Ow. Still better than $150 for 4 bushings from SLR!

Wow, didn't realize the price per kit. However, if you can make some for others and charge a small fee, you would recoup some of the expense. I'm sure guys on the the board would consider it. I know my buddy only used a bit of it and helped others on the local BMW club with the leftovers. It basically paid for itself. B)

Just a thought.

Chunk

I believe you could use 2 part casting silicones to make extremely flexible molds. We have done that here - jsut carve the desired shape out of plastic or aluminum or wood or whatever (just needs to be able to have the desired surface finish) and then pour the silicone around it. Once it cures, carefully peel it off and you have a reusable mold.

To fill stock motor mounts etc, you remove the rubber either by burning, drilling, cutting or pulling it out, then you use a jig to bolt the mount back together empty so it can be filled. Making new bushings would be easy as well, use a stock bushing for making a mold as Martin described.