Electrical Wires Hooked To The Shocks?

Guest Richy

Guest Richy

I have a quick question. I was installing some new pro-comp shocks today on my 87 pathy and I noticed that all four of them had 3 wires plugged directly into the shock itself.... I haven't even heard of anything like that, What does the wires do? Is it some kinda security thing.. like a sensor or something? Anyway I cut the wires and put my new shocks on anyway, and nothing seems to be wrong with the truck so far.... Any ideas on what those wires are there for?

Thanks,

Rich

Well, originally they did, but over time the internal valving on the electronically adjustable shocks tends to fade and not work so well.

There should be a switch on your dash that says "Sport/Touring". That's for the shock stiffness settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Yah,, i came across the same thing when I was pullin mine out. I just pulled the wiring out the best I could, and cut the rest. There are no live wires, so no worries there either. Funny note though. When I was wiring my piaa's, I went with a straight wiring (not connected to the headlights) and found a wire in the harness to the shock switch which was live with ignition. I just spliced into that one, and installed my light switch on the console.

M.M.