Rear Sway Bar Disconnects

arctic_mark

I got me a pair of rear sway bar disconnects from AC recently, got them installed nice enough too. But if I disconnect both of them the sway bar just sags there, resting on the rear diff with the disconnected ends pointing at the ground and just inviting something to snag on them.

What would you recommend? Securing the disconnected bar with bungee cords? Only disconnecting one end?

Truth is, that un-lifted, with the long disconnects on, the ends of the bar point down pretty low anyways, so I'd rather disconnect both ends and stow her away underneath out of harms way. Got a Calmini lift on order so it shouldn't be like this for too long. I'd loose the sway bar totally but I do a lot of highway driving in my rig.

Anyway, any advice would be great, would the bungee cord option work?

Mark

yeah, I'll give that a try tomorrow out in the sand hills. Bungee cords, duct tape and cable ties, life's three great all-purpose solutions!

duct tape is kinda messy if you plan on reconnecting them after wheeling or whatever.. but ooooooh yeah, bungee cords n big zip ties are your friends! :aok:

Yeah, tested 'em out on Saturday, out with a few rigs from the Northern Alberta 4WD Assoc. up on the Athabasca River near Fort Assineboine. Sand hills with muskeg in between. :cool2:

Really noticed the difference with both ends disconnected and held up with bungees. Will keep the bar there though as I got a long commute in to work and the road gets fast and bendy! Still, least it wasn't me who's rig started drifting down river in the current, wasn't me who bust their winch cable, and it wasn't me who flipped their TJ when trying to pull a YJ out of the goop!!

Fun and games! :aok:

ok so if you want to keep em on - a zip tie might possibly break...but the end should fold back toward the attached part of the bar... they SHOULD stay there - if you are skeptical about them staying there you might be able to get away with them ziptied to their folding position. hope that helps

Sorry, no pics from me as the wife is away on fieldwork up north and took the camera! pssd

But hopefully some of the lads should be posting their pics on the Northern Alberta 4WD Assoc. forum under Offroad Trips & Trail reports.

http://www.hboss.net/forums/index.php

Was a pretty good trip all things considered, peaty mud with a gravitational pull on your rig, some good very bumpy hard packed sandy trails, thick goopy clay that turned even the most arresive boggers into racing slicks, steep sand hill climbs. Shame the river was too far up to make a crossing, but hey, you can't have everything.

As for the disconnects, I was well impressed with the articulation, and the rubber bungee cord option for keeping the sway bar out of harms way worked really well. If any pics of the day come up, I'll post the link.

Mark