Complete Exhaust

So. I am looking over at Automotive Customizers.com and trying to come up with a complete exhaust kit, headers all the way back. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out here:

1. They have headers that are CA emissions legal, and some that aren't. What is the difference.

2. What headers/converter/exhaust could I piece together with little if any fabrication?

3. And lastly, what about heat shields?

OK. I think I am going to go with the Thorleys (THY-464-2-C). I found some at Autoanything.com for $436.05 free shipping. Decent price? So, from the headers back, will I need to customize?

try summit racing for the header, or rocky-road. they both had good prices for those. The thorleys include the y-pipes, so other than that, you'll need a cat, maybe resonator, and a muffler.

i got my thorleys from summit for $338 (chrome nickle plated.. 18 months later and they are still a beautiful chrome/blue color), no heat shields required, then i got a high flow cat (nothing special as far as the name) that was $50, and a flowmaster 50 series muffler ($80).

I installed the headers myself, then had a shop order the hf cat and FM muffler, and install 2.5" pipe throughout for $400 all incl. BTW: i am in CA and my set up is CA legal.

i think the difference in headers is the egr port on the RH header...... but someone can correct me on this if i'm wrong. -bounce-

i think the difference in headers is the egr port on the RH header...... but someone can correct me on this if i'm wrong.

EGR Port is on the Drivers Side... just to clarify :hide:

EGR Port is on the Drivers Side... just to clarify :hide:

my bad... i just woke up.. gimme a break man!!! :P:P

Edited by Slick

The other part of making any part CA legal is paying the CARB for an EO number.

Most of us are do as has been already mentioned here - Thorley headers, aftermarket hi-flow cat (I went with 2.5" universal Dynomax Ultra Converter from Summit and am impressed), aftermarket muffler (Dynomax for me, I don't like the harmonic droning of Flowmasters - again, from Summit) and then having a local small shop bend up tubes and weld it all together. I went 2.5" all the way out the back, but 2.25" after the muffler would be quite adequate, perhaps even better.

Another option is to get a Flowmaster tail pipe kit from Summit and cut/weld up your own. The pieces they give you can be configured to fit just about anything with enough experimenting and forethought...

This is how I did it on my van. Came out beautifully and I was able to squeeze 3" pipe from the muffler out the rear. I welded most of the connections, and clamped a few.

MWS is right. The thorley's had to be tested and certified by CARB. The other headers you saw are made by pacesetter, which are not legal in CA. Aside form that, I think the Thorley headers are worth the extra hundred bucks because they are well made and drop right in, while the pacesetters are cheaply made and come with a disclaimer that "some fabrication may be required" to install. That extra shop time and fabrication could easily run you more than the difference in price. I installed Thorley's (from Summit $339) with a Magnaflow high flow cat and a Dynomax muffler with 2.25' pipes. The only issue I ran into installing the Thorley's was bending the EGR tube a bit to make it fit without pulling up on the header. It now has a nice deep rumble, without setting off car alarms down the block.

As for heat shields, I didn't use anything other than the factory shields over the cat and muffler. The headers run pretty close to the brake lines and fuel lines on the passenger side near the firewall, but so far, I haven't had any problems with heat.

Good luck

Edited by Nutz

u might want to put a heat shield on the header pipe right under the driverside floorboard. my floorboards get hot and that was the the cause of the melting insulation on my ham radio power wires sparking my carpet on fire on the way home from utah (no the wire wasn't fused at the battery) ... i have the pathy dynomatted now which also provides insulation but i'm still going to put a heatshield soon...

P.S.

my floorboards only heat up after going 75MPH for atleast 15 minutes