Oil Quantity?

Guest IslaTurbine

Guest IslaTurbine

So my new 92 V6 Pathy didn't come with an owners manual. Can someone tell me how much oil the 3.0 takes? I'm assuming it's 5 qts.

Thanks.

Guest IslaTurbine

That's 3 5/8 qts including the stock oil filter?...or 4 5/8 with the filter?

Guest IslaTurbine

Ok, thanks. Well I guess the ol' engine breather will be puking out some excess oil. Oh well.

Ok, thanks. Well I guess the ol' engine breather will be puking out some excess oil. Oh well.

if you overfilled it i suggest you drain some oil out. it can be just as bad as having no oil at all and it will probably smoke too. ;) how much oil did you put in it?

Edited by Slick

Guest IslaTurbine

5 qts. You all have trouble reading the dipstick? No matter how much I wipe it off I can't tell the level.

Guest IslaTurbine

Maybe, but it was doing that before I changed the oil too. And I didn't pull 5 qts outta her.

That's odd, because the oil pan has a little sleeve that the dip stick/cable slides down into. It prevents the cable from angling off and also prevents splashing of the oil, giving an inaccurate reading... though the engine should not be running so slashing should not be an issue anyway.

how do you check your oil? cold? hot? running? i usually check it hot but motor off and i wipe the dipstick 3 times to get an accurate reading.

Drain some oil out ;)

That's odd, because the oil pan has a little sleeve that the dip stick/cable slides down into. It prevents the cable from angling off and also prevents splashing of the oil, giving an inaccurate reading... though the engine should not be running so slashing should not be an issue anyway.

i can tell you from VERY recent experience that if it's too full you will have no end of trouble reading the dipstick as 88 said.. drain a couple qts out n try again ;)

Guest IslaTurbine

I'm gonna drain a lil' bit out tomorrow. BTW, I check my oil cold w/o the engine running and usually wipe the dipstick about 2 times.

Thanks for the input.

I'm gonna drain a lil' bit out tomorrow. BTW, I check my oil cold w/o the engine running and usually wipe the dipstick about 2 times.

Thanks for the input.

check it at working temp with the motor off ;)