Steering Gear Arm Gasket Leaking PS Fluid

95Finder

Whats up, I noticed that I am leaking fluid from where the steering gear arm attached to steering gear. I can see a rubber gasket where it pivots. I have tried using PS stop leak but it hasn't worked. Does Nissan sell this gasket by itself? I can't seem to find anything at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Please help if you know a part number or have had this same problem. Thanks.

i assume your talking about where the arm comes out of the ps box. that attatches to the pitman arm.

if the bottom seal has had it you will probably find that shaft is scored/scratched as well. therefore if you throw another seal in it will only last a short time then start leaking again.

you can get seal kits from auto transmission shops for the whole power steering box. i got mine a few years back cost $75 australian which will be about 5 cents american. - so obviously i re-did the whole box.

if your check the shaft and there is scoring/scratching you will need to get the shaft re-hardchromed.

forgot to mention: there was another member on here, who was in the same boat, with a leaky seal and scored shaft. however he was gonning to try a 'speedy sleve' on the shaft. this may be a cheaper option, not sure on that tho as i never found out how he went.

Edited by sw

Thanks for the info, so to remove the steering gear arm do I just remove the large nut on the bottom and slide the shaft out? Where would I get the shaft re-hardchromed, or could I just get the shaft honed down a bit so it is smooth again? Anyone else have experinence with this problem?

You have to pull the whole thing apart to get the sector shaft out. The steering box has to come off the vehicle. That's why I got a new one instead of trying to rebuild it.

Good to know, hopefully one of my local yards has a steering box for me...once I install the new box, how do I bleed the PS system? Also about how much am I looking to pay for the box with everything I need from the Junkyard?

• 1 year later...

I noticed my PS fluid was leaking pretty badly and noticed there was a bit of a gap between the bottom of the steering box and the pitman arm:

DCP_0438.jpg

Is that normal to have that much of a gap?

Either way, I guess I'll be looking for a replacement - are all the V6 WD21 steering boxes the same - for example, will a '95 fit on my '87?

Edited by DryBear

The gap is normal. That's not where it seals. The seal is recessed into the steering box. I do believe all the steering boxes are the same.

As Simon indicated, the gap is normal because the shaft is tapered and the pitman arm is wedge fitted onto it by tightening the nut. They never seat all the way down the shaft. That's why in some cases, a pitman arm puller is required to pop it off of there. Sometimes you can rap the fat part of the arm that's around the shaft with a hammer and it may loosen up, but I don't like doing that.

If you want a rebuilt unit, Cardone makes them and the breakdown is as follows:

87-89........part #27-8400

90.............part #27-8410

91-92........part #27-8408

93-95........part #27-8407

The Hardbody uses the same box and they retail for around $350. Pretty pricey indeed. Good luck with finding a decent junkyard one. Hopefully you can find a low milage piece.

Don't forget, you will need an alignment afterward to reset the steering wheel.

Edited by bryfry