Plastic on Lift Gate

Hey all. I'm trying to remove that plastic piece on the lift gate that has "Nissan" written on it. I've been pulling on it, but afraid to pull much harder that I'll break it. Any one know any tricks to get that off?

Thanks.

Edited by MaximumHP

theres 2 screws in the bottom right? other than that its just those crappy plastic body clips (i believe) my 87's cracked when the guy B4 me pulled it off for something so i yanked the whole thing out b/c it kept on coming loose too with those crappy clips

OK, I think where the screws are is already off. (The right side is broken off) I'm at the clips now, so it's just a matter of persuasion it sounds like ha. There's like a little metal bracket that is clipped to the steel panel of the lift gate, and slides into grooves in the plastic piece. Wasn't sure if I should be trying to remove the whole thing from the metal, bracket and all, or the plastic strip from the clips.

It's a 91 SE, but I assume they are all the same.

hmm not aware of that outter piece i know which 1 ure talking about but i dont believe either of my trucks have it and from the pic on the FSM it seems like they're seperate but i donno...u might also have to loosen up that plastic piece around the window latch but i think it can be done without loosening (i never did it)

i may would try to get at them with a screwdriver for some leverage but i have a good feel on when im about to break something so i always go to that line and stop if u have a good feel on when something is gonna break then i wouldnt worry about it too much and the clips should break B4 the actual trim but i did manage to crack 1 of my panels but i was in a rush and pulled it the wrong way (it was like the 6th time i had everything out doing speaker/cb wiring)

Hey all. I'm trying to remove that plastic piece on the lift gate that has "Nissan" written on it. I've been pulling on it, but afraid to pull much harder that I'll break it. Any one know any tricks to get that off?

Thanks.

With a screwdriver, a beer and a hammer. -alcohol- :beer::aok:

its pretty roughand looks like crap...but i dont really care how it looks...its gives it character B)

i thought about sanding it up and painting it to match the interior and cut some plates as fillers but didnt really know how i was going to attach them and make it flow without looking like poop so i decided against it

if i start feelin better i'll run out and take a pic this weekend so u can see it...but right now im lucky to get out of bed...and i have a feeling after 2 3 hr finals tomorrow im getting strait back in bed...spend 4 years in college and never get sick last week get the flu

Turns out I was just forgetting the beer!!

You could probably just pull the plastic off, but to make it easy to get back on you need to get the metal bracket off too, so I had to go from the inside and push the white expanding clips through. Pretty easy except for the ones that are on the right side are kind of a pain to get to.

Now to just get my dent taken out.

so, what does it look like when you remove the plastic?

are there holes that need to be filled

cuz my subs rattle my trim like crazy, so i wanna remove it

Try pulling it off and putting a few strips or squares of foam tape behind it. That might quiet the rattle.

so, what does it look like when you remove the plastic?

are there holes that need to be filled

cuz my subs rattle my trim like crazy, so i wanna remove it

I had the same problem. I pulled the plastic off, welded the holes shut and laid a TON of sound deadener. everything inside the door rattels too tho. all the linkages I also put some sound deadener on to give it mass. I also ripped all the foam/isulation off the interior plastic cover and put 3 layers of SD on it too.

needless to say it still rattles abit :blink:

i almost forgot with it off it gives u a great place to store oil, pws fluid, brake fluid etc

Wrong plastic piece, he is trying to remove the one on the outside. :secret: