5000mile oil change?

edta1

Is there such an oil that will allow you to run for 5000+ miles without an oil change. And are they gimmicks? or do they really protect that long?.

well my buddy has a 2000 mustang and at the time i asked him when he had his oil changed last and he goes "u have to do that, i just add oil when its low" there was 40k on the odometer...car still runs like champ i would be interested to see the heads and what kinda sludge they have

but i have heard in newer cars and with mobil 1 synthetic of people going 5k but i dont think i'd do it in my truck

filtration not the oil itself.

i've heard people say only change ure oil filter every other time so that'd be 6k but im not gonna try that 1 either

Why not change for the sake of changing??? I change my oil religiously every 3000-3500 miles. Filter and Oil... No need to skimp on your engine for a few bucks.

Amen :aok: Im with u bruthu

mobil1 and all the new mobil oils are 5k or more. the problem normally is the filtration not the oil itself.

Cool. Using Mobil 1 is not a problem. But if i'm going to change the filter, wouldn't I have to change the oil? Once the filter comes off, the oil is going to spill all over the place, isn't it? The little bit of dribbling, I'm not so concerned. But I'm worried that all the oil will torrent out of the engine pan.

I've never taken the filter off first so I don't know if it'll torrent out or not :unsure: . Can we just change the filter alone?

I use M1 and a M1 filter. I change every 5k. The recommended change from the manaul for my S4 is 10k miles. I have twin turbos so I change that at 5k also. There is no way that my pathy gets as hot as the S. If I were using conventional oil I would change around the 3k - 3.5k range.

The S has amsoil in it now. I may change to Asmoil for the pathy too. Looks like their 5W-30 is better than the M1 5W-30.

New K-series engine Hondas have 7.5k oil intervals, on dino oil!!!!

I still change my K20 powered 05 Accord every 5k just to be safe.

I vary my oil changes based on the application and conditions. The enemies to the engine are DIRT, ACID contamination from combustion chamber blow by and WATER condensation from start ups.

In our street driven BMW, the oil is still slightly translucent after 15K miles, so I have no problem running the Mobil 1 for 15K miles. Many studies indicate I could push it as much as 30K miles, but I choose not to. That engine has 180K miles and is as strong as ever.

In the tow van, I change the Mobil 1 every 5K miles because it gets worked very hard. Still translucent and looks good, but I ask a lot of the oil so I choose to change frequently.

But in the Pathy, the oil is usually opaque and black after just 5K miles. That is mostly due to blow by in the more worn out engine (also only 180K miles, but clearly not in as good of condition as the BMW!), which means lots of acids and crap getting into the oil. And dust from offroading. So I change the Mobil 1 in it every 3 to 10K miles depending on how it's being used.

If mostly highway miles, 10K miles before changing. If mostly in town, 5K miles. If offroading, every 3K (or even less if driving out in the alkali laden and sandy Nevada desert!)

Why not change for the sake of changing??? I change my oil religiously every 3000-3500 miles. Filter and Oil... No need to skimp on your engine for a few bucks.

second that notion :bow: :aok:

At my work we just changed to Castrol syntec blend. They gave us a big shpeal about waiting to change the oil at 4000 miles instead of 3000. Personaly, I will keep changing mine every 2500-3000 miles. I have seen the damage in too many nissan engines when people dont change the oil on a regular basis.