Head Gasket Help

Guest 93PathFinder

Guest 93PathFinder

I did a diagnostic on the pathfinder myself and I am hoping / thinking its not the head gaskets. I took the upper and lower intake off the truck and noticed that there was a bunch of coolant puddled in the center of the block. I am hoping that it’s just intake gaskets. My question is this, does coolant flow through those tiny little holes all around the cylinders on the block or just through the 1 big hole on each side of the block? When I say little hole I mean the holes that are around the bolt holes. Because if those don’t flow coolant then it can’t possibly be the head gaskets and I just need to put on some new intake gaskets seal her up and she is good to go for like 75 bucks. If coolant does flow through those little holes then do you know where to get rebuilt heads for cheaper then 230 a piece?

:blink:

start by saying never had nor seen a vg30 BUT generally speaking all those little holes will have either oil or coolant flowing thru them. this helps with cooling of the block. if there was only one big 'galley' i would suspect the engine would suffer from 'hot spots'

i think the tiny holes are just the oil jets for ure heads (cams/lifters/rockers) and i believe the big holes are the coolants but i could be mistaken...if i go home tonight i can take a look at my vg30 thats sitting on the engine stand...

but heres a pic of the heads and intakes some1 might be able to explain a lil more with the pix attached :shrug:

2050078_28_full.jpg

2050078_29_full.jpg

Guest 93PathFinder

I feel you are correct also. I think the cooling for the heads is supplied from the intake manifold then it flows out of the head into that big hole in the block which supplies the coolant for the engine block. I think I am going to just redo all the intake gaskets and chage out the hoses and then pressure test it again and I bet it wont leak anymore.

I felt it was weird for a motor to not burn oil or coolant, have no coolant in the oil or vise versa, not run bad at all and have it be a head gasket. Before I took it appart I could see coolant pileing up on the back of the engine block then dripping down the bellhousing. So I know those puddles didn't come from me taking the intake off.

P...:aok:

check your upper bypass hose CLOSELY for cuts/leaks ;) (and your H2o pump if it's overheating)

Edited by Slick

Coolant runs through the intake manifold on a VG30E motor. You will see two holes in the intake per cylinder. The large round hole is the air/fuel mix intake. The smaller oval hole is the coolant. If the gasket leaks you can get a pool of coolant in the valley of the block. I have put alot of VG30Es together over the years and I'll tell you I have never seen one of these gaskets leak. However there is always a first time. Check the intake gasket carefully for a sign of a leak. i have also seen people use the wrong gaskets. The gasket should be metal with a rubber insert to seal the head to the intake. Any other type of gasket is just wrong.

Good luck. resealing a head to the block is a tough job to get this right and have the gasket not blow out

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 93PathFinder

Well I just put new manifold gaskets and change the hoses and it has been running like a champ for 2 weeks :)