R50 manual with noise

sbcathey

I bought an R50 5 spd a few months ago. My wife was driving it today and it started a high pitched squeal when in 2nd and 4th gear. It starts with the clutch disengaged, and continues once engaged. It stops when in neutral and I disengage the clutch. I let it sit a few hours and the symptoms did not return. I have never had a manual before, is this a common sign or does anyone know what I'm looking at? Also the last couple months when cold second syncro is not great.

Thanks for reading.

Scott

i havent owned a manual since the motor & trans conversion. but inst noise as described above the throw out bearing.

sort of sounds like the clutch, pp & throw out bearing could be gone especially if your report 'unhappy' 2nd gear shifts.

Edited by sw

I am not getting any codes. Today it doesn't seem as gear specific, and actually it is only when the clutch is disengaged. I talked to a couple people, and everyone seems to think its the throw out bearing.

scott

T.O.B. could definately be it. Check to see if you main seal is still good. Look for leaks etc that don't come from normal places. You may be getting a leak that is putting fluid into the clutch. I had a similar problem on a non-Nissan vehicle a few months ago. It started like you describe but it got worse and more frequent. I hope it turns out to be less of an issue that mine did.