31" on an unlifted Pathfinder?

Guest D4BY4

Guest D4BY4

Alright, Im getting mixed responses from people ive asked about this. I have a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder XE-V6 and I am real close to putting some 31" BFG All-Terrains on her. Am I going to run into any problems with rubbing or clearance? Am I safe to put them on until i can manage to get a lift?? Help me out!

Totally safe, i had p225/70/15 on mine prior to puting the 31's on. The one thing I did have to do, however, was turn out my steering stoppers a bit. The tires would turn so sharp that they would hit the side of the frame. Just turn out the adjustment and you will be fine. You may not even require doing this.

jason

Like 88pathoffroad said, 31's came stock on most SE and some XE's depending on the package bought. No problem fitting them. My SE came with the smaller 235's. Guess the original owner didn't want to shell out the mula for the 'big tire package' :o

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to note when switching to taller tires: Pathfinders come from the factory with adjustable steering stops in their A-arms. Pathfinder SEs (which came with 31" tires) have steering stops that are set almost .5" further out than XEs, presumably to limit how far the wheels can be turned (helpfull for preventing rollovers in taller vehicles).

So, for safety's sake, be sure to check the factory service manual and set your steering stops for your increased ride height :)

(That being said, a Pathfinder SE is about as manouverable as a garbage truck, so I have backed off those steering stops as far as they can go. I can now back out of a parking space without doing the 3 point turn...)

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a '90 Pathfinder SE with 235/75 15 tires. Went to buy my 31" BFG T/A KO's and found out that if your Pathfinder came with the standard 235's (instead of the optional 31's) it has 6" wide wheels. For the 31's you need 7" wheels.

Apparently the largest I can go to on the existing wheels is 30-9.5-15.

Some tire shops wont' mount a 10.5" width on a 6" rim. Most will though. All you need to do is run just a little less air pressure so the center's won't prematurely wear out. Just monitor the wear now and then. When I had 31's, (Pathy came with 235's) I like the 6" rim as I could air right down during winter runs.