Replacing the starter

Mr. Pickles

So I jump in the Pathy yesterday after work, turn the key: nada. Ok, fine, I'm on a hill and bump-start it. Then this morning nada, but it fired with a couple taps from a hammer. Same at lunch, and here I am after pulling it. Gonna take it in tomorrow to see if it can be tested, and probably end up with a new/reman unit.

I'd like to take a moment here to give a shot out to the fabulous Nissan engineers. Yes, they've been recognized before for their logic. What a brilliant location for this @*&%$# thing, thanks guys! :furious: Its not hard, just not pleasant to sqeeze in and play in gobs of greasey mess.

Ok, on to the point of the post. What is this stubby plug to the left of the oil filter? I unplugged it when pulling the starter, and it looks like somebody- previous owner, oil change guys, ?- beat the snot out of it. Looks like it will still be functional, but we'll see.

post-9-1145421965.jpg

subways bro, I replaced my brothers and it is a nightmare I mainly work on old muscle car like mine with no room due to headers but my brothers we had to move the tranny lines oil fliter. It wasn't that fun. an way I would go a head and replace oil pressure sending unit it. It's not an expensive thing and if it looks questionable its better to be safe then sorry when it comes to oil. That is how I wrecked my frist motor in my car oil pressure switch didn't work. I ended up throwing a rod at 85 mph of the freeway. The rod went all the way through the block. Replace it.

Edited by subwaydiet

yea thats the sending unit to the light on the dash...

i found out on my 87 if you jack up the front of the truck and then jack up on the oil pan a lil bit and pull the front skid plate you can slide the starter out of the front with a lil turning and holding ure mouth the right way

that oil pressure sender is just for the idiot light on the dash. i accidently snapped off the lil spade connection and drove it for a few hundred miles with no effects. if you wanna replace it for good measure, go for it. as long as its not leaking and is functioning properly tho..no need to bother.

youll find a wide array of stories in removing the starter. iv heard people disconnecting this and that, and lifting here and there..taking hours and hours.

as iv shared before, i changed mine out in about 20 minutes in the parking lot at my school at completley stock height (pre BL/SL). the only thing i removed was the skid plate and the starter. no moving the oil filter, CL, none of that. 6" extensions and deep sockets are your friend, as well as little 1/4 ratchets IIRC. BTW that was my first time ever to change it, and i had no manual or previous experience.

I had a oil sending unit fail and have it spew oil all over the Starter causing it to fail as well....

I believe that this is also the spot you would plug in a aftermarket oil pressure gauge...

Yeah, the top bolt was a PITA, but once I got it off, it wasn't a big deal. A little wiggling and turning. But now...

Just went to Auto Zone and had them hook it up on their tester. Not only did it snap to attention and work, all tests came back fine. So I'm going back at it tonight to clean and inspect connections (all 2 of them!). I've already given it a pretty good cleaning, now I'll finish the job.

Weirdness. Has anybody else had theirs appear to be dead, only to have it check out? I mean, if it really is fine, I'm not gonna complain. But it would fire after tapping with a hammer. Maybe something was just loose.

I just got done with my starter nightmare. I'd turn the key and get nothing sometimes, really intermittent.

Pulled it, installed new brushes = it worked fine - for three days.

Pulled it, tore it apart and looked at everything again = didn't engage flywheel.

Pulled it, installed solenoid lever CORRECTLY this time = it worked fine - for an hour.

Pulled it, resoldered questionable circuit wiring = it worked fine - for an hour.

Pulled it, had a shop look at it, new solenoid = it worked fine - for a day.

Checked ignition switch = good.

Pulled it, installed new starter = same problem as before.

Pulled new starter, replaced original.

Bought a new battery and its been fine ever since.

Yeah, the top bolt was a PITA, but once I got it off, it wasn't a big deal. A little wiggling and turning. But now...

Tell me about it. Try getting to that bastid with headers. I had to make my own offset box end wrench by heating and bending up one of my straight ones and even then I only get a 1/6th turn on the bolt. After like the eighth time under the truck I was tempted to just lock a set of vise grips on it and call it good.

Weirdness. Has anybody else had theirs appear to be dead, only to have it check out? I mean, if it really is fine, I'm not gonna complain. But it would fire after tapping with a hammer. Maybe something was just loose.

I had that happen once on my Bronco and another time on my hurst ......after pulling one out of my hurst and walking 2 miles to the auto parts store they put it on the machine and bumped it and it worked the kid was like its fine I told him no way I just walked two miles to bump it again...and again...third time was a charm so I dont know if it was just starting to go or what the deal was I know I wasnt gonna walk another two miles to find out that it gave up the ghost for good :shrug:

Just went to Auto Zone and had them hook it up on their tester. Not only did it snap to attention and work, all tests came back fine. So I'm going back at it tonight to clean and inspect connections (all 2 of them!). I've already given it a pretty good cleaning, now I'll finish the job.

dont trust that. i had THE EXACT same thing happen. i wasnt so sure it was my starter so i removed, threw it in the back of my roomates truck and we went a few blocks to vatozone and got it checked. hooked it up and everything worked fine. put it back in the truck...dead again. all that jostling around in the truck accomplished teh same thing as a hammer would on the way. if your havin to tap it..its going, just replace it.

We'll see at this point. I cleaned it pretty meticulously, along with the wiring, and put it back in (man, that was actually super easy with it all clean). Fired up first time. I let it warm up, then started and stopped repeatedly till I'd almost killed the battery (which is only 6mo old), and still all is fine. Wish me luck. I'll be parking on hills for a while, just in case. :D