Tranny rebuild

rxf610

I have a re4r01a auto tranny on my 95 pathy, and I have no reverse. Signs say it is time for a new tranny. I found a rebuild kit for like $200, but I have never done anything like that before. Would this be something I could undertake? I got quoted like $2600 for a rebuild, so I just don't know if it is worth it for me to do it at that price. What do you all think?

if you've never i'd recommned against it. tranny has way more many parts then the engine. just pulling and replacing the tranny once is a heck of a chore. find someone that will do it way cheaper with your kit or find a used tranny.

it's would help if you also filled out the rest of your profile. no clue where you may be.

When you put it in reverse, does the tranny make any noise?

do you hear a grind, or do you hear nothing?

do your reverse lights go on?

Edited by FUELER

i think you should troubleshoot before you remove hte tranny. i know you can do it. i did, 6 times. and those mistakes i made were ones that are preventable. i dissagree on ther more parts that the motor. there arent all that much to the trannys, at leat the auto. most of hte parts that come out get replaced.

im thinking the problem might be electrical., ie soleniod. or a hard part, the inhibitor switch, or the tranny computer, just for simple thoughts, try the truck in all foward gears, make sure it shifts when in 1 into 2, and then from 2 into 3, then press the od switch, it should shift into 4, then lockup.,... 5 if it does this when you select the geras great, then try it with the tranny selector in d adn od on, if there is a difference the problem might be electronic. oif it normal, then great., no reverse a..... gotta be something simple. if there is no noise when in reverse, id say keep the tranny in and try to continue troubleshooting. runt the tranny computer for any codes.... if its electronic, you will be told then. if its mechanical i think youd hear something, have no codes and the foward gears shift fine...... good luck.

if you need i can help assist over hte net, or if your infl i can help ya out. i have good experience in the worst way with the re4, but i can only say i learned the hard way. mechanically.....

When you put it in reverse,  does the tranny make any noise?

do you hear a grind,  or do you hear nothing?

do your reverse lights go on?

Ok, so the reverse lights come on, but the engine rpm's drop pretty dramatically, like it is going to die. There is also a little clicking noise coming from the tranny when I put the key to on (before I start it). I am stumped. Also if I hold my fingers on top of the tranny I can almost feel an electical pulse in my fingers if that noise is on. I can get it to stop by unplugging the wires that run into the side of the tranny.

Edited by rxf610

I dropped the pan and replaced the filter, and nothing looked out of the ordinary with the wiring. I have a multimeter, is there any way for me to test which of the wires is the problem wire or why reverse won't engage? I was told by the previous owner it would slip out of reverse from time to time, but now that I have it, it won't even engage.

Yes they can..

do you think people are born with transmission experience??

I opened my first honda tranny in my garage with NO tranny experience, (99 B16A2 tranny) replaced an exploded differential, cleaned it out and put it back together.

It ran 1000 miles before exploding again, but now I know honda trannys better and they arent even all that hard. It was worth it.

1000 miles proves 88's statement. thanks.

88's right, if you arent any mechanical just buy a new one...i wont get into anything about my situation rebuilding mine. but its fine now. i rebuilt it with no tranny experience what so ever, and it took me time and time again to get it right.

well sounds like you have an electrical problem, and i mean the soleniods , and those are very easy to change if you have the same tranny parts, i mean a 4x4 re4 tranny. as for the noise, that mechanical, the tranny is toast. a rebuild or replacement is in order. im not sure how many other small mechanics have rebuilt a re4 trany, but im one. and its not hard, just have to know someone that can do it, or do it yourself. if you dont have the money, fix it. im serious, the biggest pain i nthe ass about rebuilding hte tranny is removing it, and installing... from my opinion. i dont want to start an argument, im not here for that, but this guy might not have the money to replace it, and have a shop install it. as that was my situation., yes it was dumb for me to wheel the pathy without having the money to fix it. but whos that rich?

Edited by ibstillaweiner

I got a new tranny. It was used, but 100% functional, and not to mention it was only $25 through an auction. I should be getting it friday, so the swap begins. I have a haynes repair manual, and it tells me how to take it out, but makes no mention of the transfer case, so i guess they worked on a 2wd model. Any experience on dropping a tranny and putting a new one in?