Do Synthetics VOID Warranty?

Orangetang

This is my concern... I bought a 2002 Chilkoot with 72,000Km on it from a dealer. The dealer said that my powertrain is warranted for 100,000Kms and I could buy an extended plan if I wanted to. Now, the dealer didn't service the vehicle before I bought it. I had no idea when any of the fluids had last been changed, and it was approaching the -20,-30-40C winter weather here in town. I took the Pathfinder to Great Canadian Oil Change, and had Mobil 1 5w30 put in the engine, and had the diffs and transfer case changed to the equivalent synthetics aswell. Now, after they did this, for me the manager asked if anyone had mentioned to me that doing this may have voided my warranty.... I've heard this from a couple of other people now so I'm concerned.

I need to have a CV axle or something replaced this week under the warranty. Should I drain my fluids and put the Nissan approved fluids back into my components? Is the engine allowed to run on Mobil 1? What about the drivetrain fluids?

I'm only assuming this is the cv axle though. They're going to look at it on thrusday. I experience a little vibration above 80km/h or so, if I use 4 Wheel Drive the vibration is amplified, especially under acceleration. So, lets say its a problem with the transfer case, they might see the fluid and then say it isn't warranted. Can that happen?

Seeing as how they DIDN'T service the tranny when they warranted it, i'm sure they won't care what kind of oil is in there.

Who knows what kind of oil the previous owner used?

Are they going to DNA test your oil??

If they do say something, I would play dumb, act like I never changed any fluids, and argue that I bought the car this way, and paid for the warranty so they better fix it.

You may be joking about the 'DNA' test, but everytime I do a fluid change on a company truck, I need to send off a sample along with documenation explaining how many hours or kilometers, brand/type/SAE of the fluid, serial numbers and everythng else to go along with that. If we do it where I work, I'm sure that Nissan must do the same thing. One time someone contaminated an engine oil sample with some diesel fuel or coolant. A couple days later we had mechanics tearing a C15 Cat apart to find the problem, which turned out to be nonexistant.

For the record, I bought this through Mazda, not Nissan. So if Nissan sees anything they don't like, I'm afraid they will have the say in what they do or do not pay for. Anyone else ever heard of this? What is the NIssan recommended fluids for these things anyway?