Considering '01-03 Pathfinder

Guest Rodarbal

Guest Rodarbal

Hi all,

Glad I found this sight. I'm looking into buying a new to me Pathfinder in the '01-'03 range. I've perused the forums for some details. Many posts back up the obvious that they are great vehicles.

Anything in particular to look out for when looking at a used Pathfinder? What about using premium vs. regular fuel - I couldn't find much on this, but thought I read that premium was necessary?

What is a realistic expectation for mpg - normal driving/no mods? I'm used to a lifted '94 Ford Bronco gas mileage - which gets ~12 with a tailwind down hill.

LE vs. SE? Just nicer amenites?

I've also considered the Xterra and the Toy 4runner. Keep coming back to the Pathfinder. Any help/insight/opinions would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I assume I posted in the right forum. I'll take the flames if not. Thanks,

HI there, welcome to the board.

I've had my 99.5 for almost 2 years and love it.

I dont know anything about having to use premium gas, but maybe someone with the newer 3.5L engine can chime in. I have the 3.3 and run fine on regular gas (If you do look @ the Xterra's you do have to run premium if you go for the supercharged)...

I know some of the newer pathys with the bose stereo system with the 6 cd changer have a lot of issues with the stereo... pretty much the general concensus is to ditch it when it goes, and it will go eventually.

One thing to look at on the pathys - mechanics wise is the struts, I know mine had to be swapped when I bought mine... as for other things, again, maybe others can offer advice, and try using the search function, as I know the subject has come up before...

Mileage on a stock R50 is supposed to be 16MPG city/18MPG highway... and I think mine was abour right on target before I started modding it.

Not sure about the amenities with the LE vs SE, I have the cheapie XE, and love it as is!!

We also have an Xterra, and it's a great truck too... the pathy is a nicer ride (smoother on the road - the X is more 'truck' like), and I like to point out the few toys it has over the X just to P.O. the hubby... :D (heated mirrors, back glass opens... ) but I would reccommend either truck. They are great on & offroad. Lots of room for camping and groceries too I suppose hehe... B)

LE has Leather other then that there pretty much identical.

Wifes 03 Pathy and we have never used premium fuel.

We have driven an older Xterra and it was ok but a tad cramped, and a little under powered. Not to mention I do beleive it cannot pull as much as a pathy Rob can correct me if I'm wrong with the pre-05 models.

Guest Rodarbal

Thanks for replies so far. Funny you mention the stereo. I've looked at a couple, and two of them had replacements in them. I thought it odd that someone would replace a seemingly good stereo system - now I know.

Xterras do seem cramped a bit. Didn't notice ride too much - Like I said, stepping out of the Bronco makes a Jeep Wrangler seem like a nice ride.

Towing capability is a factor. Just a 16' boat - 2000 lb max, but I don't want to struggle with it. Will be a daily driver for wife, but also serve as road trip vehicle with dog & camping gear. Not alot of 4x'ing, but will call for it in places...I know it will handle what I'll need to get through.

A question about the roof racks - some have the tubular style like the Xterra, some have the "normal" style. Is it a preference thing, or is one style better/more functional than the other?

I have an 02. Runs fine on regular gas although I am currently doing a test of premium to see if the 10% extra cost is worth it. No noticeable difference in power/drivability to report though.

Yep, the 6 pack CD in the 01 and 02 is a mess. They seem to have fixed it in the 03.

Pezzy got the rest, I will post up some links later on used reviews if you need them.

And welcome! :beer:

Yes, the pathy is rated better than the Xterra for towing... (at least the pre 05 Xterra vs the 96-04 pathy)

As for the roofrack, I just have two nissan crosser bars, and Ive actually bought some Thule ones for heaver loads... Not sure about the ones that are more like the Xterra ones... I do like the look of them with the airdam - but tehyre pretty uncommon up here, I dont think they were an option in Canada.

Towing capability is a factor. Just a 16' boat - 2000 lb max, but I don't want to struggle with it. Will be a daily driver for wife, but also serve as road trip vehicle with dog & camping gear. Not alot of 4x'ing, but will call for it in places...I know it will handle what I'll need to get through.

A question about the roof racks - some have the tubular style like the Xterra, some have the "normal" style. Is it a preference thing, or is one style better/more functional than the other?

Pathfinder sounds like a good choice for you. One thing that you need to take into consideration is whether or not you want the All-Mode transfer case or not. I have the regular, lever-operated two-speed and it's good for off-road, but I would prefer the All-Mode that was on the LE's and started on the SE in I think 2003.

The "normal" style roof-rack is one of the strongest racks out there. If you end up with the one that says Pathfinder, I'm sure someone will want to trade. I like the tubular style's looks because I never put anything up there.

One thing that you need to take into consideration is whether or not you want the All-Mode transfer case or not. I have the regular, lever-operated two-speed and it's good for off-road, but I would prefer the All-Mode that was on the LE's and started on the SE in I think 2003.

My bottom of the line Chilkoot has the AllMode and I have grown to love it, especially with the kind of highway driving in winter I do (of course in Canada, it is always winter :lol: ). It suffices for the off-roading I do.

In Canada it was an option all across the line, standard in the LE.

Here is a link to a used review on the 01-03 Pathfinders: Used 01-03 Pathy Review

And here is a link to a bunch of other links: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5343

The only complaint I have with my 01 SE is the d@mn SES light. Each time I tried regular gas instead of premium the SES light would come on, so I only use premium now. But since I've been to the dealer and had my ECU "reflashed" I haven't had to worry about the light any more.

I get 16-17 mpg with mine.