Ultimate project Begins!

Pathfinder-jay

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where i can get the inner skid plates... in the wheel wells. Some call them inner fenders others inner assy and some inner wheel well. Mine are rusted out and I cant seem to find anywhere.

Need em for all wheel wells, front and back

Thanks

Jason

Man, you are very ambitious. The rust in your firewall to engine bay (what you are calling the inner guard?) would have turned me off straight away. There doesn’t seem to be any surface area there that you could weld new metal too. The other pics of the car and all of the rust would have seen me tossing it down the tip (you call it a dump) as a lost cause.

Are you sure that restoring ‘that’ Pathfinder is going to be economically viable? Rust is very hard to get rid of unless you cut it out, and even then, it will still come back unless done properly. Seeing where, and the amount of rust that you have, I have my doubts that you will get rid of it, even for a short period of time. And anything you try is only going to be in vein.

I am not knocking you for attempting to bring that Pathy back to life, far from it. I would just hate to see you throw good money and time after bad. Let it P.I.P.

ust is very hard to get rid of unless you cut it out, and even then, it will still come back unless done properly. Seeing where, and the amount of rust that you have, I have my doubts that you will get rid of it, even for a short period of time.

See the thing about my truck is that im not fixing the rust... im completely replacing the panels. Fenders are all coming out... the inner fenders/fireguard/gap plats... inner skirts dunno what to call em anymore lmao are all coming in brand new now... I bought them all for front and back. I got custom rocker panels made, got new front fenders, new front and back bumpers, my frame is being sand blasted and reconditioned. My flooring is going to be steel with ZRC coat ontop of it....

My truck is not being fixed, its being overhauled like that show. I rebuilt my engine with my friend thats a mechanic. I sanded all the rust in the engine pay and used heat resistent spraypaint to fix it all. Everything is coming along nicely

I want to install rhino matt instead of carpet but i cant seem to find out where I can get my hands on it or something similar...

See the thing about my truck is that im not fixing the rust... im completely replacing the panels. Fenders are all coming out... the inner fenders/fireguard/gap plats... inner skirts dunno what to call em anymore lmao are all coming in brand new now... I bought them all for front and back. I got custom rocker panels made, got new front fenders, new front and back bumpers, my frame is being sand blasted and reconditioned. My flooring is going to be steel with ZRC coat ontop of it....

My truck is not being fixed, its being overhauled like that show. I rebuilt my engine with my friend thats a mechanic. I sanded all the rust in the engine pay and used heat resistent spraypaint to fix it all. Everything is coming along nicely

I want to install rhino matt instead of carpet but i cant seem to find out where I can get my hands on it or something similar...

Good luck to you then. :aok: But even on "pimp my ride" they have put cars to rest.

May I ask what the cost of the makeover is going to be?

i think i may be able to answer your quesstion vsicks......an ungodly amount....

either way, that is a large amount of money, and work, enjoy, and hope all goes well!!

It was a rude question I know, but it had to be asked.

All the power to him for having the time and money for such an undertaking, not forgetting the skill that will be involved.

Funny, I didn't see "sas" in his work to do list though. If you are going to spend up large, then a sas is a must have item.

I will be interested to see how it looks after it has been finished, and then in a years time to see if any of the rust has resurfaced. I hope the latter isn't the case.

yes i do agree, SAS would be pretty high on my list if i was stripping, and sandblasting my frame....replacing almost everything on the front end....yea i would swap out that IFS....oh well "different strokes for different folks"....

What do you mean by SAS? and its not costing alot really. Its 3000$ because i know the 2 brothers doing it for me. Theyve been doing autobody work since they where 17...they are now 54, and 55. SO lots of experience. I get a 3 year no rust gurantee with it. Pimp my ride is just pretting up a car.... overhaul is stripping it to bear nothing and rebuilding it in a way as if it just came our of the manufacturer. So we will see when its done but overall i see it as a good investment...since it is running 100% mechanically and i only paid 650$ for the truck initialy then 2000$ mechanic repais... thats 2650cdn for a fully running truck with the majority of the parts new due to previous owner. Then 3000 for the paint job and restoration... thats 5650$ for a brand new pathfinder with 0 rust... wont find that in quebec. Also have a spare engine and a truck full of spare parts if anything happens

SAS = Solid Axle Swap -- basically replaces the Nissan IFS up front with a solid axle from whatever you want to pull it from. Highly desireable (yet expensive) mod if you do a lot of off-roading, as the stock IFS doesn't deal well with being lifted and abused.

Although it doesn't seem like your trying to build a trail monster, so its probably not for you.

That being said, why restore a pathy to stock condition? More power to you if thats what you want to do, but if it were me I'd want to restore something a little bit more classic, while using the pathy to beat around the hills.

:shrug: diffrent strokes for diffrent folks

Well I do tend to add offraoding mods etc... but I want to get rid of all rust and fix the complete body/frame before doing so. No point of adding offroad mods then your truck falls apart on the trail heeh.

I want it 100% brand new and worthy of a new life

Hey guys I got some questions while im proceeding with this project

1) Where can I obtain rhino liner or something similar to do my flooring?

2) Where can I get a good light bar and which lights should i use?

3) If I wanted to raise my truck 3inch what would I need for suspension etc... for everything to get it to good performance with 3 inch left... Offraod suspension etc... and where could I get it?

4) What kind of pushgrill do you guys recomend?

5) Im redoing the floor, should i replace with steal platting... should I add shields under the truck to protect certain parts? I got a rust splash shield im changing... Going to take lots of pics tomorrow

Ok now just a general question... what are the biggest set of tires I can put on a stock pathy without any adjustements? and also what size tire should I get if im doing the lift?

Any brandname that should be better then others?

With all of you having alot more experience in modding your trucks...what would you do to improve the performance... adding parts... making it safer/more durable. This is my first car and I want it to last for a long time... been saving up for 4 years... since I was 14 for this truck

Thanks

Jason

Edited by Pathfinder-jay

I want to answer ALL of you questions with "Internet/Search" function but I would also like to help you out alot.

1) Look on automotive web sites. I'm sure they will have it. But I'm NOT to sure about that.

2) Good light bar? I think you should MAKE one. Good lights? Its all up to you but I've seen the ways 88s Pathy lit up and heard him speak about PIAAs and how good they are. Look in to those. EBAY them though!

3) If you would like to lift your rig there are a few places that sell 3in lift kits. Try Calmini or Trailmaster. OR you could order UCAs from Rough Country, pull some JGC coils off a jeep in the junk yard, and do it the less expensive way. Maybe get some new torsion bars too???

4) Push bar? I dont know if thats the same as a "Brush Guard" but if you are willing to spend money on it ARB sells a beastly one. Or just get one that was factory (from Ebay or someone from here or even the junk yard again) that kinda looks like the one on that GMC that you took a picture of on your site.

5) Make some skid plates! I haven't yet and its something that I NEED to do. If your gonna wheel at all I think its a GREAT idea to have them. Protect the under belly of your baby!

Biggest set of tires that you can get on a pathy....

Stock = 31x10.5

3in lift = I think some people have gotten away with 32s with no problem

BUT you could always get your sus lift AND a body lift (add another 3in) and run 33s. Body lifts aren't too spendy. I got my kit for 60 bucks and Im glad I got it installed (thanks to 88) because I was having REALLY bad rubbing issues.

MAN you ask alot of questions LOL but thats good.

Performance:

Cam, ignition, exsaust, air intake, headers, you could fix up ur ECU a bit.... there really isnt TOO much stuff to do but there is stuff out there. Look at L&Ps site. They will port and polish your shizzznit and they do great work!

Safety:

Dont drive it like an idiot and It will be safe LOL.

MORE Durible:

It is durible enough. Just take care of her.

I haven't been around Pathfinders for THAT long and Im def NO expert but these are just a few suggestions/ideas that I have heard of. Hopefully it helped you out a little but.

Rami

P.S. SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

eh, if he wants to spend that much, and well once you are done, it is YOUR truck. you put the money into it, making it how you wanted it, id say that really isnt that bad of a price, hell, i paid 6700 for mine...

Yup the way I see it to find a good pathy like the 91 I got around here runs at about 5000 or more. They are all almost automatic... not my style. I found this one for 650$ and fixed her up. Spending 5000-6000$ total on a brand new truck basically hehe not to bad.

What websites can I order good lift kit at? and is it hard to do yourself? Also what other replacements of carpet do you recommend?

Sorry for all the questions but I want it perfect

so is money not a problem? if so go to purenissan.com (Calmini, they make great kits, so i hear)

if money is a problem, go looking for some UCA'a (upper control arms) that allow for the 3 inch lift. Rough Country, Calmini, AC all sell them, i am sure there are a few more, but i cannot think of them right now. Then for the rear suspension just get some jeep grand cherokee front coil springs, placed in the rear of our vehicles provide about 3 inches of lift.

AC also sells a 3 inch lift kit. go to www.4x4parts.com

Calmini 3 inch www.purenissan.com

im sure there are more, but those options seem to be most common.

as for your other question, the carpet. i honestly would just get some new carpet. Honestly i dont like the look of a vehicle that has rhinolined flooring, unless it is strictly an off road vehicle (i used underbody coating on my bronco (strictly farm use))

if you want more protection on your interior, get some good rubber floor mats, seat covers, and possibly a cargo mat, thats what i use, and it works great....

have fun with your project man, sounds like it should be lots of fun

Edited by sammyb33

Thanks for the update bud!! sounds awsome! Keep answering my questions slave ahhaa Im kidding but thanks alot it helps me immensly when other give me hints... then I dont spend hours on hours on google looking for the best solutions and most the @!*% is fake lol

Also lets update... new images are in... spent the day ripping my 92 pathy apart for parts i need

NEW PICS

Thanks guys... anyone know how much it is for new carpets?

hehe no my 91 blue pathfinder is getting rebuilt... this is my 92 pathy u see in the pics. Im just ripping peices off it... everything is a spare now lmao. And only new peice i took a pic of I beleive is the Rad support.... Getting more pics in tomorrow and all week. Im still driving my blue truck... it goes in tomorrow