How to hot-wire a starter

dagwoodzz

Hey guys I'm ready to flush engine for flooded '92 pathy. I have removed starter and want to put direct lead to a battery. Which is positive which is ground. I want to run a lead wire from positive battery post to starter connector on the bottom of picture. then run lead wire from stud w/ nut at top to the negative post on battery.

I would use jumper cable clamp on the negative battery post as a manual stop/start.

Could someone please confirm postive/negative side to starter? I will accept any advice regarding a safer and smarter solution.

BTW. The '92 has been flooded. currently the ECU is pulled as is Dash and practically every interior connector. I now have valve covers, plugs, air-intake pulled. ready to fill with diesel and flush. Any help is appreciated, Dan

post-9-1144609074.jpg

I would use jumper cable clamp on the negative battery post as a manual stop/start.

That won't work because the starter gets its neg through the housing once its mounted. I wouldn't do it but once the starter is mounted, if you hook a positive lead up to the covered terminal in your photo it should spin. I'm not sure if the solenoid will throw the armature out to engage the flywheel, though. You might have to figure out a way to get 12v to that connector as well. I'd recommend a battery switch to limit the amount of sparks since you'll be spraying diesel fuel out of the spark plug holes at a pretty high velocity. I'd also recommend finding a different way to flush your motor because the whole plan sounds dangerous to me.

When I drained oil about a quart of water came out with it. no rust thankfully. I can use air and wd40 on the top. this will not do anything with water in the bottom (or will it?). Maybe draining oil pan and changing oil filter enough I don't know. I am in it over my head, but can see the surface barely.

Hey guys I'm ready to flush engine for flooded '92 pathy. I have removed starter and want to put direct lead to a battery. Which is positive which is ground. I want to run a lead wire from positive battery post to starter connector on the bottom of picture. then run lead wire from stud w/ nut at top to the negative post on battery.

Could someone please confirm postive/negative side to starter? I will accept any advice regarding a safer and smarter solution.

BTW. The '92 has been flooded. currently the ECU is pulled as is Dash and practically every interior connector. I now have valve covers, plugs, air-intake pulled. ready to fill with diesel and flush. Any help is appreciated, Dan

To get that puppy to turn....

The solenoid needs the heavy juice. Top of your photo the copper looking treaded post. Hit that with a positive jumper cable to the positive lead on the battery. Install the starter motor (as it grounds through the motor bolted to frame) and then stick a wire into that connection on the side, and hit the other end of the wire to the positive terminal as well. Doesn't need to be but a small gauge wire. That will get her kicking if the motor is fine.

Oh well starter won't turn! I hear the solenoid click, but no turn. gave a couple taps, no different. i'm afraid to tap while juice is on. The valve covers and air intake are off and engine full of diesel. I will get key made and drag in gear to make sure all water is out.

Just be sure that you dont have any liquid (maybe like a 20CC MAX) in a cyclinder when you turn it over, other wisecatastrophic engine failure could result. Just fill those cylinders with the diesel, and let it dry and drain slowly, while you detail the rest of the vehicle. The engine will be fine.

I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head. Engine is seized. Tried pulling, just drug the back wheels. Put in 4lo and 4th gear. Drug all four wheels. Was not expecting it to be seized. I have had diesel sitting in for a week.

must now consider parting her out. I will drink a bottle of merlot and grill a ribeye while I sulk and mull it over. The income tax check came in and the boss wants her bathroom remodeled.

I will keep ears open for suggestions. I've heard of pulling motor and using heat and hammer to persuade. I don't have room, tools or time to do right.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8024&hl=

If I get to parting it out I will post new thread.

:( -alcohol- :beer: in that order. anybody got any cheese?

If you've got the space, tools and ability a used Japanese import motor would run you $500 or so. If cash is tight (like it's ever not) just park it for a bit til you can get the motor. If not, I think 88 is looking for a 5-speed trans and all the fixin's.

I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head. Engine is seized. Tried pulling, just drug the back wheels. Put in 4lo and 4th gear. Drug all four wheels. Was not expecting it to be seized. I have had diesel sitting in for a week.

must now consider parting her out. I will drink a bottle of merlot and grill a ribeye while I sulk and mull it over. The income tax check came in and the boss wants her bathroom remodeled.

I will keep ears open for suggestions. I've heard of pulling motor and using heat and hammer to persuade. I don't have room, tools or time to do right.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8024&hl=

If I get to parting it out I will post new thread.

:( -alcohol- :beer: in that order. anybody got any cheese?

OK, that does sound bad. Though you meant, 4-hi, didn't you? that would be the gears that give you the most tourqe advantage against the motor. If the motor is really and actually seized, though of all the things in that vehicle it is the toughest component, then, I really like the 350 idea that slick recomended.

you could double check by dropping the pan, pull the main bearing caps and giving a light tap in the rods to see if the pistons will move in the cylinders. May tell you what is keeping it from turning. Could be all pistons, could be 1, could be the bearings (which are easy to replace)

I can take the starter back out and confirm it works by hot-wiring while not installed. But I can drag the Pathy in Neutral wheels roll fine. Put in gear the wheels lock. I took this to mean engine is seized.

OK, that does sound bad. Though you meant, 4-hi, didn't you?

I put in 4hi the first time but was actually in neutral. Got tired of screwing with it and just dropped in 4lo and 4th gear. Figured if shifter was all the way down I wouldn't mistake 4hi for neutral. Didn't get home til after dark today, so I will try again a couple more times. remove oil pan like k9sar suggested. also try to drag in 4hi to break free.