Aftermarket stereo for 2004

Guest dougc4

Guest dougc4

The space for the Bose 6 CD in dash factory unit looks like would accept a double DIN radio. However on Crutchfield, I only get options for a single DIN receivers for the 2004 Path. And looking on the Scosche website, they only make dash kits for the 04 that holds a single DIN on top and a cubby hole on the bottom.

I thought I had read some pathfiner forums of people installing a double DIN in an '04. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

Guest dougc4

Thanks. For the reply. I read thast thread. What I got form it that people think it is a Double DIN opening , but all of them have installed aftermarket single DIN units with a cubby hole shelf under it (like the Schoche dash kit). I would love to hear from somone who has installed an aftermarket double DIN receiver in that space, and if so, was there an existing custom dash kit for it, of did you have to fit it in yourself?

Thanks,

Doug

Yes, it is a double DIN setup. With a double-DIN radio, you do not need any sort of dash kit.

Crutchfield has a lot of inaccuracies on their site, so I tend not to trust them for fitment. They claim that the rear speakers on my truck are 4".

I'd love to upgrade my head unit from the finicky Bose setup I have but I heard it's so much of a hassle w/ the individually amp-ed speakers and what not. It's easier to please my Boss at work than it is my Bose CD Changer...

as the above have said, yes it is a double din and you don't need any sort of in dash kit to install an aftermarket double-din. i left the bose amps in, no biggy, normal listening volume on my pioneer deck is at level 4 though, quite low, which i like since it's less of a load on my deck's amp. bypassing the amp requires a little wire splicing and panel removal, the panel removal being the most PITA part. i put a single din pioneer and was quite simple.

other parts you might need are a wire harness (unless you want to cut off the nissan harness and splice the wires), and the power antenna adapter as nissan's plug for the power ant isn't the standard one. both run for about $10-15 at bestbuy or circuit city.

(unless you want to cut off the nissan harness and splice the wires),

DO NOT DO THIS!!! Not only will you create more trouble for yourself, as the wires are not color matched to the head unit, but you will prevent anyone who buys the vehicle from putting a stock stereo back in, or putting a different stereo in without a great hassle. Also, if you mess up, and the wires get burnt, you'll burn up ALL the wires, not just a harness.

I have seen many times people would come into stereo shops and be like...yeah, my CD player stopped working, I need a new one, and buy a new one and have us install it, and when we tore into the dash, we'd find a rats nest of wires and the factory plugs hacked off and we'd end up having to rewire the entire car. :furious:

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I can post pics of my S-DIN Alpine install. I also had the D-DIN Bose... I didnt'use an adapter plate or cubby hole though, I made my own... The 3 kits I bought didn't fit properly and looked terrible. I'm not sure if my Chilkoot has different trim than other models, but the kits certainly didn't work for me. Volume 4-7 was about my normal listening volume, 12 seemed to be the point where volume peaked... Anythign after that didnt' really do anything, I think the factorya mp compensates, as to not blow the speakers. Also, my subs, being at volume level 4, did absolutely nothing, while the rest of the speakers were producing... Yay for double amplification.

I ordered the PAC ROEM-NIS2 adapter kit, with supposed distortion free sound reproduction... I'm not very impressed. While the dials can turn roughly 90 degrees it seems there is just off and on... For a proper adjustment, one would need to test the wattage going to each speak individually, while adjusting this POS. There is distortion, and it sounds as if the speakers are blown if you have the thing set to a reasonable level which is extremely hard to accomplish inthe first place becaus eof the tiny inaccurate dials. I found a spot where i could compromise functionanlity with sound quality, but still the amp is just weird. I think it seriosuly adjusts or compensates volume levels. Or the BOSE speakers just completely suck, which is totally feasible I suppose. That or my Alpine deck sucks, which wouldnt' suprise me. I'll never be buying another Alpine product after the crap I've been through with my last 2 decks...

I'd be happy to take pictures of or post comments on any of the crap I did to get this stuff running.

Their sound quality is alright.. I had some Type R 6.5/1" components in my Firebird and they were great. Mind you they were powered by Pioneer and Clarion. From the head units I have used, Alpine's build quality and user interface quality isn't good. Especially their idea of MP3CD and iPod navigation.