My Transmission Cooler came Today

ticker

Hey all, after losing mutiple bids on e-bay for a transmission cooler I went ahead and found another source. I got a Hayden tube and fin style cooler for $27.00 USD. My wifes going away for a week so I was thinking I would have time to install in the next few days. I looked for a how to but couldn't come up with anything. Anybody got any tips,tricks or advice?

the oil cooler is a pretty simple install... The instructions that come with it is pretty general and is about all you need..

I mounted my cool to the rear of the AC condenser. You're going to have to remove your radiator to access the location as well as route the cooler lines. Hopefully you bought the biggest size cooler if you plan on bypassing your stock cooling unit.

Buy at least 5 feet of 3/8" ID oil hose, a few hose clamps, and completely bypass the stock cooler - prepare to catch @ 1/2 pint of AT fluid. You'll probably have to loosen the top mounts of the radiator to get it to fit in there. Should only take 1-2 hrs max if you're moving slow to hook it up.

i took my grille off and and just slide it in between the condenser and the bumper, the bottom of the cooler slide under the top part of the bumper by a just a lil, then i ran the lines through the core support where the headlight mounts

Edited by FLApathy

I couldn't get mine to fit on the front of the condenser no matter what I tried, but if you can, its the best spot for keepin it cool. B)

You can use vice grips to clamp the lines before disconnecting them too, makes it a cleaner job.

I couldn't get mine to fit on the front of the condenser no matter what I tried, but if you can, its the best spot for keepin it cool. B)

Me either, so I put it in the gap between the condeser and the radiator. Since my e-fan runs when I have the AC on it should be just fine there.

I've been looking at 2 different ones. one is 5 x 15 x 3/4 and the other is 7.5 x 15 x 3/4. Only a difference of a couple dollars but if the bigger won't fit.... you see where I'm going. :)

Same, the center brace on the core support got in the way in the front.

the top half of mine is behind the grille, its on the drivers side of the center support, it works really good, i anyone i know happens to wander by with a digi cam ill snap a few pics

I looked at the area in front of the AC condenser and it looks like it will fit right alright. If I can fend off weather and work I will attempt it this weekend. Unfortunately my wife's sister is going to be having a baby so the camera will be in LA all week. Ouch that came out really wrong I'm super psyched to be an uncle, I meant unfortunately that I wont be able to document the process. :D

I looked at the area in front of the AC condenser and it looks like it will fit right alright. If I can fend off weather and work I will attempt it this weekend. Unfortunately my wife's sister is going to be having a baby so the camera will be in LA all week. Ouch that came out really wrong I'm super psyched to be an uncle, I meant unfortunately that I wont be able to document the process. :D

Not wrong at all, I'm sure there would have been more than enough pictures of the newborn without your camera there :D

Update-

It was kinda cold yesterday so I decided to wait for today Sunday to do the install. first thing this morning went down to the auto supply store to pick up some ATF and some extra hose. The cooler I bought came with about 4 feet of hose and all the goodies I will need to attach it. The hose that comes in the box is 11/32 ID. Store #1 is out of stock maybe Thursday. Store #2 is closed on Sunday. Store #3 doesn't have it either. :huh: That's it for the neighborhood. I had a bunch of other things to do so I'll hit up a couple more stores tomorrow. I went ahead and took off the skid plate and grill to see how I'm going to run it and to check to see if I really need more hose. I do. It looks like it will mount perfectly on one side of the radiator support. I might just have to get another for the other side(more is better!) because it fits so perfectly. Anyway here's the bone head move of the day When I took the grill off I didn't take off the indicator lights I just loosened the screws so I could get the grill out. I went inside for something and when I came out my pocket gets caught on the f%$#^% housing and rips it off.

:angry: I broke part of it, but it looks like it may be fixable. Oh well could have been worse. Stay tuned

Its done!!

The physical aspect of it was really easy. The PITA was getting the right hose to do the job. I stopped in at NAPA and asked for some 11/32 ID transmission cooler line. Without skipping a beat he picks up a little gauge and says OK well Ive got 5/16 which is only .03 smaller. "It will work no problem, the hose will stretch." OK it's not what I asked for but he seems confident. And I newbie to much of the car repair world pay and head home. I spent a good twenty minutes trying to get it on the cooler. and i came to the following conclusion- IT DOES NOT STRETCH, I mean duh its rated for 400psi. In the process of trying to get it on I put a couple of dents in the fins which does not make me happy. I finally try the hose it came with and it slips right on. At this point I remember that being told 3/8 ID will work so I head out to another NAPA to see if they have any. At this point I should say that at the other three stores I went to when I asked for 11/32 they looked at me like I was jackhole. So this time I skip that and ask for 3/8, She disappears for a while and finally comes out and tells me that they have no 3/8 but have something close. 11/32?, I ask. Yes she tells me but it will work for 3/8. Its the same exact stuff that came with the cooler. Thank god for a competent, knowledgeable person behind the counter. I went back and finished the job in about 20 min. I'll post pics when the camera returns.

Quick rant-

WTF, I am so sick of going into auto parts stores and being looked down on by the redneck hillbilly dumba%^ mother%^*&%$@ working behind the counter who don't know their a$% from their elbow telling me stuff like its the friggin gospel. :angry:

sorry if I offended any redneck hillbilly dumba%^ mother%^*&%$@ , we're a sensitive group:D

have a good night y'all

Edited by ticker