Finally took the plunge

jj big shoe

Well, I finally mustered up the courage and found the time to change the timing belt and wouldn't you know it? I didn't blow the thing up! It's not that bad of a job really, just tedious and time consuming. Once I got in there I noticed the PO had the right cam off a tooth. I corrected that and once I got it back together, she runs a whole lot smoother and I'm able to dial the idle down where it should be now.

Thanks to all who have done this job before for dropping so much knowledge on those who haven't. :aok:

BTW, can I upgrade my skill level now, Sensei?

I don't suppose you changed the water pump while you were in there. If you didn't, then you may qualify for a level upgrade. You see, one may purchase their way to the next level by experiencing the double-timing-belt-change-because-the-pump-went-out-10k-miles-after scenario.

Oh! and it is imperative that you also NOT change the thermostat if you wish to experience the engine-overheat and head-meltdown scenario that is a required experience for achieving level 2 via the fast-track. Personally, I drilled five 1/8" holes around the new thermostat to allow some flow in the event of a thermostat failure (It turns out that I cannot afford the fast-track to level 3).

Edited by Derrik

Nope. The PO changed the water pump when he did it and around 30k miles ago I switched to an electric fan, so I'm gonna risk it. I did replace the t'stat, tensioner and cam seals, though.

Edited by jj big shoe

BAKA! A mere timing belt change doesn't call for a skill upgrade! You must first completely dissasemble and then reassemble the entire engine, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind your back! :P

*raises hand* been there done that! can i upgrade?? please please can i huh?

jj.. first time is always daunting. you have been promoted :beer:

BAKA!  A mere timing belt change doesn't call for a skill upgrade!  You must first completely dissasemble and then reassemble the entire engine, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind your back! :P

Is this required for skill upgrade, or can one opt for auto tranny removal/rebuild/intall to qualify instead? Sorry no blindfold or hand tying, but 10 pounds of road-snot and grit in the eyes and several busted knuckles should count for something! :sniff:

don't suppose you changed the water pump while you were in there. If you didn't, then you may qualify for a level upgrade. You see, one may purchase their way to the next level by experiencing the double-timing-belt-change-because-the-pump-went-out-10k-miles-after scenario.

so what if you did it the other way...i changed the leaky waterpump and didnt know about the whole timing belt deal and how antifreeze breaks down the structual integrity of the belt and was broke at the time and counted my quarters to get the wp...

in turn broke the t/b 7k later...ate 3 valves did a top end rebuild...that was some scary @!*% for never having seen the inside of a motor...but thanks to the FSM and my x's dad (airplane mechanic/pilot in the army) telling me he had done this several times b4 then finding out later on he had done it once in kwajalen (sp) on a 4 banger mazda car it all worked out great

my carnage and learning experience

2050078_46_full.jpg

the 2nd from the right is a strait valve the others are bent

so what level do i qualify for? :lol: wish i would have known about these boards way back then

Edited by unccpathfinder

Cool, good work Bud... Kinda miss the tarantula stories though !! :D

Tell you what, We'll consider you qualified for the next level when you try out that skid plate I mostly made for you... ;):P

B

Tell you what, We'll consider you qualified for the next level when you try out that skid plate I mostly made for you... 

I already did. Click here for the vid that shows what happened after I hammered into a cypress stump with your skid plate and slid off it (Click Three Lakes WMA videos link, then jjbigshoe wheeling techniques). Not even a mark on the plate at all. Whaddaya think about a couple long strips bolted to the rockers as sliders?

Hahaha, cool !! I knew it should work out fine... To bad I couldn't see anything with that crappy video. Any damage to the mounting bolts ? I should have a garage here in a few months, so maybe I'll make a batch of them (with your corrected dimensioning, of course ;) ) I'm sure we could figure out some pretty sensible sliders, and the UHMW PE strips could easily be replacable.... ;):D:aok:

B

I was considering lining the frame rails as well, but would UHMWPE planks along the rockers work like a poor man's slider? Ideally I'd rather make some steel ones that attach to the frame but I don't have access to a welder anymore. I'm thinking it would protect against most stuff you'd run across (literally) though. If you were able to cut it straight and bevel the outer edge or something so it doesn't look like a hack job it might not be a bad idea.

If you were able to cut it straight and bevel the outer edge or something so it doesn't look like a hack job it might not be a bad idea.

Implying something ?? :D

Yes, milling and beveling the edge(s) would be simple. Only limited by machine travel or at worst, a slight blend mark. I'm not sure about the attachment though, I'll have to look when it is not pissing rain; read weeks... I doubt they would count with a serious hang up, but it would offer some protection and maybe the slickery effect could save some pannel damage. :shrug:

Lining the frame rails would be fairly simple also. The best way would be to have a 1/4" strip of steel that mounts to the frame, and them screw the PE onto that. Easily replacable also. You could mount the PE directly to the frame also, but that would either take a lot of drilling and tapping into the frame or it would tear off quite easily.

I'm willing to design/fabricate...

B