what should i do?

subwaydiet

Ive got an 88 se with the vg30i, automatic trans and 170k on it. The motor has just died and is siezed. Any ideas what to do next??? How do i found out waht is wrong with it?? Any simple tests??

Or.... do i not even bother and part it out???

ANY IDEAS?

Was the timing belt ever changed on it? From the sound of it, I'd say that the timing belt failed and the interference engine known as the VG30i...well, interfered.

There are a few options as to what you can do next:

1. Replace the motor with another VG30i. - My recommendation.

2. Swap in a different, higher performance motor.

3. Cut your losses and part out the truck - PLEASE DON'T THOUGH!

If, as you say, the motor is indeed siezed, there is really no saving it at this point.

As for the timing belt i have had the truck for about 6 months and i never changed it. I doubt the last guy did either.

As for the dying circumstances it was death by driving. My brother was driving it on the freeway and it lsot power and made wierd metal on metal noises. He pulled over and it was towed home. He said it had started to pool oil under it. Once home we drained the little oil to find oil everywhere around the starter(this could have been from a previous oil leak that ive had) we removed the starter and found out it was fine. I then tried to turn the motor manually with a breaker bar and it moved a little then wouldnt move anymore. And thats all

That sounds like a broken timing belt to me! Unfortunatly that probably means terminal engine damage. :(

If you think you're up to it I'd replace the engine, check local engine importers and wrecking yards. Good luck!