Imported Engines

Guest SLOPOKE

Guest SLOPOKE

Good evening all,

After tearing the engine down to the head gaskets this last weekend, and seeing the damage to everything else (heat, and water in oil) I have decided to junk the current engine. I have a old friend who works with a salvage yard down in Corvallis Oregon who imports motors from Japan.

I see them going on e-bay all the time, and I was wondering what people had to say about them. Getting an engine with 30k miles, and a 6mo warranty is hard to beat!

I'm assuming that this engine is a standard VG30E, probably not from a 4wd pathfinder. Is there anything I will need to swap over from my current pile of junk? I searched some and found some people talking about the oil pump and pan will needed to be swapped, is there anything else?

Thanks,

Ryan

I searched some and found some people talking about the oil pump and pan will needed to be swapped, is there anything else?

The Pathy has a peculiar crankshaft (long snout) that may have to be swapped.

I understand that it's possible to go the other route: Keep the crankshaft and change all the accessories, but I also understand that it's not worth the trouble.... Swapping crankshafts is easier.

Cheers!

Gary

Guest SLOPOKE

After talking to my friend today, I'm going with a VG30E from a '94 'finder with less than 100k miles.

The engines that they were selling was only long block, and heads. For $200 bucks less I get a complete engine, minus a/c. alt, and ps pump. I really like the idea of having some spare parts laying around, plus they offer the same warranty.

My buddy was saying that the engines that they import have not been tested (they don't even compression test them), but the ones they pull from the wrecked cars have been bench ran, and compression tested.

I am a happy man once again.

Guest SLOPOKE

I have no idea what I'm going to be doing with the rest of the engine. I was going to save the sensors, and the intake lines for future use, but the bottom end and heads I don't know.

Make me a offer, and we will see what happens.

I will give my buddy a call, and find out what he wants for a transmission.

I have no idea what I'm going to be doing with the rest of the engine. I was going to save the sensors, and the intake lines for future use, but the bottom end and heads I don't know.

Make me a offer, and we will see what happens.

I will give my buddy a call, and find out what he wants for a transmission.

:furious: c'mon peeps.. put some locations on yer profiles :P ok. i am done now.

so.. where are you located and i may make you an offer on the block n heads :beer:

Dear Slick... read his sig.  He's in Oregon.  Shipping of heavy parts from there would definately be cheaper than from way out east here.

dear K9.. i read his sig and there was no location at the time of looking. so PFFFFFFFFFFFFT :P ok. so he hid that sh!t in his sig.. wtf.... lol :P:laugh:

i need a good excuse to drive to oregon anyway sssh sly

Edited by Slick

dear K9.. i read his sig and there was no location at the time of looking. so PFFFFFFFFFFFFT :P ok. so he hid that sh!t in his sig.. wtf.... lol :P:laugh:

i need a good excuse to drive to oregon anyway sssh sly

Dear Slick... it was there when I posted. That would have been three posts before yours :D

Dear Slick... it was there when I posted. That would have been three posts before yours :D

:P ok. ok. lay off the old blind lady eh guys B) i am old and decrepit.... gimme a chance to find and realize my mistakes..... lmao -study-

Guest SLOPOKE

Yes all, I'm in Oregon, about 35 miles west of Portland.

I don't know if I would sell the engine. It woudl take lots of work to get it back to a running condition. I think that one of the PO's parked it during the winter with just water in the radiator, because all the freeze plugs have been replaced. I also think that the truck has been over heated more than once, the discoloration of the passenger side head was enough to make me not use that engine.

I will keep all who is intrested posted.