Considering '96 Pathfinder

Guest Tom G

Guest Tom G

I'm big fan of Nissan in general, so when the wife recently decided that she wanted to buy a Labrador Retriever, I decided that the dog couldn't be riding around in the back seat of her '95 Maxima GLE. Big dogs and leather seats don't mix! I asked her "Pathfinder or Quest?" and she said "Pathfinder".

I started by looking at 94-95 Pathfinders but the spare tire setup has me looking at 1996 and newer models. I was hoping to keep it under $5K but for a '96 or '97 I might have to spend a little more...

Yes, I have read the NPORA FAQ. Several times.

Aside from the exhaust manifold issue, are there any known issues with 1996-style Pathfinders? For example, I've read and heard about the 1995-style Pathfinders suffering from rust on the frame and at the rear seat belt anchors. Not a good thing, especially with a 5YO daughter in the back seat.

I am presently considering a 1996 LE 4WD 5spd w/89K miles. Yes, the 5spd is OK with the wife.

What I'm really after is a 'Buyers Guide' of sorts for the 2nd Gen. Pathfinder. Things to look for--good and bad--that are specific to this model. I'm not after general used car buying advice.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tom G

with luck, soon to be a Pathfinder owner

correct me if im wrong

r50 paths - theres been a few on here with rear control arm bushings that have needed replacing - 'Pathfinder shimey in rear at 40-50m/hr'

also aftermarket parts are very few and far between for r50's

Guest Tom G
The exhaust manifold issue is only with 87-95 models, AFAIK.

If that's the case, it is certainly welcome news. The NPORA FAQ states "Nearly all of the pre 97' Pathfinders had original Manifold problems". Mr. Jim or whomever may want to change that 97 to a 96 if that is indeed the case.

Thanks for the info.

Guest Tom G
correct me if im wrong

r50 paths - theres been a few on here with rear control arm bushings that have needed replacing - 'Pathfinder shimey in rear at 40-50m/hr'

also aftermarket parts are very few and far between for r50's

Control arm bushings don't sound too scary to me--can I assume that if these bushings fail that it's a fairly simple DIY fix?

By aftermarket parts do you mean that I'll have to go to the Nissan dealer for simple items like the aforementioned bushings (or wheel bearings, u-joints, etc.) or are you talking about mods and upgrades like suspension/intake/exhaust parts? Obviously, I'd prefer not to have to buy every little part from the dealer.

If that's the worst I have to look out for, this will be an easy vehicle to buy.

Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the board! My usual advice to folks is not to get the first model year of a vehicle, because of bugs that need to be worked out, rush to product, etc. Although, that is not to say that a 97 or newer will be anymore reliable, I would just recommend to you, to try to find a 97, or newer, if a r50 is definately on your radar. Not bashing the 96, I would never bash any Nissan truck (thoughest rigs I ever encountered); just my opinion. There where few, but some changes right after 96, check them out below on the link, nothing mechanical to my knowledge.

As you can tell on the link, under trouble spots; alot of the problems with the R50 where in 96.

R50 Pathy Info

the new rear arm bushings need to be pressed in i believe

as for parts - i mean more after market parts/upgrades

blizz definitely has a good point, might be worth taking into account

Guest gnosticfinder

Tom---Welcome!

I just purchased a 96 SE 5sp with 83K about two weeks ago. Yes, it did have the mainfold issue which was covered under warranty (Nissan I believe extended the warranty on the manifolds to 100K miles) The dealer in my area has already taken care of this under warranty. Ask your dealer.

And Yes I do have to have the rear control arm bushings replaced. I have gotten several quotes ranging from $350 to $580. Of course the $580 is from the dealer. I went with the dealer, mainly because of reliablity. I want to make sure it is done correctly Please do a search on the 96-2000 section for "suspension problems" there is a long thread on the subject. I think this is the link Suspension problems

I will be replacing the exhaust system from the cats back. Very very rusted. If you are in a rust prone area check into that. As you can tell this vehicle had some problems---mainly just lack of some maintenance items. I got a good deal on it, and knew I would have to put some money into it. It runs and looks great.

Other than that, I have been extremely please. I love the low end torque. I can be in 5 gear and going 45 mph with no trouble. :D

Good luck---Let us know what you decide.

Daryl

I didn't know they made LE's with 5-speeds. Though the 96 was the first year of the R50 Pathfinder, it doesn't seem to be too problematic compared with the 97+. Consumer reports still recommends the 96. My neighbor has a 96 with many more miles than my 97, it's holding up just fine. As for problems, the bushings aren't the only suspension component that will need fixing. Struts tend to go out, and the shocks don't last super long either. I say go for it if its a good price and is in good condition. You will love the 5-speed also, much more fun than an auto. B)

Guest Tom G

Blizzardking, I know what you mean about potential problems associated with the 1st year for a new model. Normally I'd be wary of this but frankly don't think I could afford a 97 with an acceptable odometer. I'd rather have a 96 w/90K than a 97 w/125K or more for the same $$$. FWIW, my 95 Maxima is also a 1st year for a new model and it's been great. Maybe Nissan's 1st year woes aren't as bad as other mfrs (particularly domestic)?

Big Johnson, you are right about LE = auto trans. I had two different ads mixed up. This one must be an SE w/Leather. I read the 'suspension problems' thread and it sounds like AC (or other aftermarket) polyurethane bushings would be the way to go. I might try to DIY as much as possible and just take the bushings and their housing to the machine shop for pressing. With regard to struts & shocks, will I get 2X the life out of 2X the money for 'premium' shocks/struts or am I better off financially just planning on these items being part of routine maintenance? I'm not after super-duper off-road performance here--just a decent (and safe) ride for the wife, kid & dog.

Trouble Spots

Airbags: Airbag-indicator light may flash, indicating a failure. Dealer will replace the SRS (supplemental restraint system) sensor under warranty. (1996)

Audio system: The radio may loose its presets and the clock its time due to voltage spikes. A replacement radio, less susceptible to this problem, is available. (1996)

Brake noise: A high-pitched squeal or whistle from the area of the front brakes is eliminated by replacing the baffle plate on both sides. (1996-98)

Suspension noise: The front suspension squeaks on rough roads due to a problem between the strut rod and rubber bumper. (1996)

Vehicle shake: Vibrations at 30-40 mph are often the result of the front driveshaft being installed out of phase. (1996-97)

Wheels: The black anodized lug nuts' surfaces corrode (looking light white dust spots). Nissan will replace them with chrome lug nuts. (1996)

Notice the ammount of times 1996 model appeared on those reports, 6/6; the 97 2/6, and the 98 1/6 times. You see the pattern, which is exactly my point, as the R50 continued, there where less bugs, but that first year 96 was on all those reports...................No matter what you decide, you will still have a far superior SUV, compared to others in it's market.

Good luck,

Mike BLK

With regard to struts & shocks, will I get 2X the life out of 2X the money for 'premium' shocks/struts or am I better off financially just planning on these items being part of routine maintenance?

Well, if you get rancho shocks they have a lifetime warranty, so you will be set with one purchase there :cool2: . Most aftermarket suspension components are designed to last for a while, so you should get pretty good quality and longevity with them. Especially if you don't do much offroading. ;)

Very, very good reasearch and information, guys! Thanks so much. I've taken the liberty of adding all this to the "Pathfinder Common Problems/Fixes, Read this first!" sticky thread in the "Garage" forum. Feel free to add anything to the list if you have more info.

:cool2:

:gossip: :secret: :clap: :bow: B):beer:

Guest Tom G

Please correct me if I'm wrong with my perception of the "Trouble Spots"

Airbags: Airbag-indicator light may flash, indicating a failure. Dealer will replace the SRS (supplemental restraint system) sensor under warranty. (1996)

If this happened to a particular 96 Pathfinder it's likely that it occurred and was corrected fairly early in the vehicle's lifespan.

Audio system: The radio may loose its presets and the clock its time due to voltage spikes. A replacement radio, less susceptible to this problem, is available. (1996)

This one is scary, and not because of the radio. These "voltage spikes" could be harmful to the entire electrical system, could they not? I would expect to put an aftermarket stereo into an 8+ yr old vehicle but the Alpine head unit I already own could also be damaged by these same voltage spikes. Was the root cause ever addressed here or did Nissan just sell a more robust radio?

Brake noise: A high-pitched squeal or whistle from the area of the front brakes is eliminated by replacing the baffle plate on both sides. (1996-98)

Has onyone had this problem and corrected it? Are the parts expensive? I'm guessing that this is an easy DIY project.

Suspension noise: The front suspension squeaks on rough roads due to a problem between the strut rod and rubber bumper. (1996)

No fix is mentioned. Is this a correctable problem? Is it just a noise issue or is there a potential expensive repair or safety issue involved?

Vehicle shake: Vibrations at 30-40 mph are often the result of the front driveshaft being installed out of phase. (1996-97)

Anyone ever experience this one? I'd imagine that the driveshaft only has 4 potential 'phases' and that simple trial and error could resolve this issue in an afternoon.

Wheels: The black anodized lug nuts' surfaces corrode (looking light white dust spots). Nissan will replace them with chrome lug nuts. (1996)

Sounds like a pretty minor issue. Lug nuts aren't that expensive, if the original owner didn't have them replaced under warranty.

There is definitely a pattern here that demonstrates the "first model year blues" but most of them are fairly minor issues. The air bag thing is potentially dangerous but likely to have been taken care of by the original owner. The electrical issue doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling, but OTOH I haven't read extensively about electrical system problems on any Pathfinder. If this was a GM or a Ford, we'd be talking about undersized radiators or transmission failures at 80K. Nissans (heck, Japanese mfrs in general) seem to have fewer first year issues than domestic makers.

I will keep my eyes open for an exceptional deal on a 97-98 but won't walk away from a good or even fair deal on a 96 over any the issues listed here.

One issue on the 95 and earlier model is rather disconcerting: the tendency of the rear seatbelt anchors to rust out and fail... Definitely makes the move to the newer model worth a look.

Thanks everyone for the info. At least I know what to look for when I start test driving Pathfinders. Once I find one, I'll post a few pics and give a problem/resolution update.

I just got a 96 Pathfinder 2WD XE, auto tranny. Runs great. I had to clean out the throttle body to fix the stuck accel pedal. And that is it. Well I had the oil changed. It has 113k miles so I will replace the T-belt and water pump as part of routine maintenance as they are over due. Other than that this baby is fine. and for $6k you can not beat this ultra clean city driven truck. Nice.

Oh, as for the bugs they mention above, forget them. None are any problem here. The rear bushings need replacing only if it wobbles or you feel the rear end try to come around on the highway after a fast accel with a fast let off the gas. The rear end will shimmy back and forth.

I put and after market stereo in this one last night and it rocks your head off...

Good Luck,

Trvl

:type: