Ignition Switch

NissanPerson

So, today after a long day of work I come outside hoping to go home and relax before I head off to run some errands. BUT, my car had other ideas! Put the key in and it started right up...but then it KEPT trying to start. I quickly turned it off thinking "what in the holy hell is going on???" I turned the key to "Acc" and the radio came on...then I turned it to "On" and the car started...well, 1.5 hours and a $58 tow home (which I thought was cheap) and I started putting in a new ignition switch (I believe that's what it's called). It's a relatively easy job (if you've done it) but when it's 20 degrees out it's not something fun to do. Now she purrs like a kitten again. :-D The ignition switch (thing you put the key in to start the car) seems to wear out pretty quick on these cars. Anybody else agree or disagree with this???

i do agree about the iggy switches. mine is showing signs of old age (i have a 92) and giving me grief on occasion but so far i know it's little tricks so she starts every time :bow:

glad ya got 'er fixed :aok:

i just had the same problem u were having in my 87 b4 the motor broke...what i would do is turn it over to start then kick the key back to the on position and the starter would disengage and everything would run like a champ (i think the spring that kicks the key back broke) i was going to to a bump start switch but havent gotten to it yet since the motor issue... it has 250k on it so i think it did its job although my 95 had its ignition replace in the early late 90's

We've had it happen on 4 of our Pathfinders (mine, brother's, mom's and dad's) ...maybe it's the concrete blocks we dangle from our key chains ;-)

As to Dagwoodzz question/comment- If you're talking to me about creating a how to on putting in the new ignition switch it ain't that bad. The worst part, in my opinion,...other than getting that damn plastic cover off and back on the steering wheel...is drilling out those locking screw things in the clamp. I bought some screw extractors this time and it worked like a charm. It helps to have sharp drill bits as well.

Basically just take the cover off the steering wheel (the upper and lower plastic pieces) and then you'll see what you need to. Drill out the two old bolts and it'll fall off. Find the harnesses that are connected to the wires and pop them out. Then put your new switch back in and reconnect everything. Last summer on my brother's Pathy it took about 30 minutes. On mine this last time it took a bit longer because we're idiots. Dull drill bits don't work. But it's not a huge job or anything. If you have any more detailed questions let me know but once you get the plastic off the wheel it should be pretty self explanatory.

P.S. I have manual door locks...SUCKERS!!!!!!

Edited by NissanPerson