help w/ transmission help

Cuong Nguyen

are you talking about the 2 bolts up top that hold the starter and the plate it goes through? or the 1 bolt that is down the side of the starter between the bell housing and oil pan? it should be bolted in from the tranny side of that plate that holds the starter. i didn't use anything but a socket with extension and a wrence to remove my starter.... mind you... i am fortunate enuff to have long skinny hands... easier to get in small places

Edited by Slick

Yeah, i got the start bolts out and the starter out of the way. I'm just having a hard time getting to that one bolt--"bolt that is down the side of the starter between the bell housing and oil pan".

I just got my wife's tranny back in about 30 min ago. To remove and put back in I used a ratchet wrench on hers since I have allot of room with 3" BL, on the donor truck I used a socket and long extensions from the front of the engine to remove.

I got the bolt out with the long extensions. I didn't think at first it would fit but it did. I did the same for the other side. I'm I'm having one hell of a time trying to remove the front drive shaft. Any ideas? It is a 14mm or smaller? The 14mm feels kinda loose on it.

Oh, forgot to tell you... the pathfinder caught fire.... eh. haha. Well I managed to remove the bolts that attaches to the Tcase flange. How am I suppose to remove the TC bolts from the flex plate/flywheel? Don't tell me I'm suppose to remove them through the starter....

The torque converter bolts definitely have to come out the starter bore - but you'll have to remove the sheet metal spacer that sits between the pan and the bottom of the bell housing. Remove all the bolts from the alignment pins down, then work the spacer back and forth while pulling down - a real PITA but its do-able. (It'll probably help if you remove the tranny to engine bracket as well). Use a socket or wrench on the crankshaft damper/pulley bolt, wedged against the frame, to keep the crank from turning while you apply torque to the torque converter bolts (also use it to rotate the flexplate to get at the next bolt). If you think this part is fun, just wait 'til you have to line up the torque converter with the flexplate when re-installing! :furious: