spare tire carrier

thatguy03

i believe the bushings on my tire carrier are worn out as it makes a terrible rattling sound while driving is there a specific way to remove it and swap it out as i have another parts truk here to use is it as simple as undoing the bolts on the outside i think tere are 8 of them or do i have to do anything inside the body panels

i havent found anything in the search and the haynes manual doesnt say thanks in advance

You can change out the pins and bushings in the hinges. The original pins need the rounded end cut off, then you tap them out, pop the bushings out and reassemble. Did mine and fixed the rattle/ wobble in mine. :aok:

ahh perfect thats what i though but figured id better check before gettin to it as it is royally :furious: me off

thats a project that will be done either thhis weekend or next then in go the jgc coils

yah i was figuring on taking off the tire first but good to know

it still weighs 50+ lbs with the tire off.. and the weight is not even which makes it a PITA ;) best to have help n not squish the toes.. hehehe

In the meantime you can fix the rattle with a small piece of rubber hose (like fuel line hose) cut to fit and placed in the pivot point of the hinge base. The hose puts pressure on the joint when it's closed and keeps it from rattling. Mine's been like that for about three years and doesn't even rattle when offroad. If you cut the hose to fit tight in the hinge it won't fall out either.