oxygen sensor replacement

tecciball

so i have figured out that my p0158 error code is for the rear left (passenger) sensor. correct me if i am wrong, but i think that the pigtail runs all the way from the post-cat location to the right side of the engine (facing engine).

q's

is this correct?

why is it so damn long?

what is the best way to run the wire without it hitting hot/sharp engine/exhaust parts?

i am a bit of a novice here, but i am feeling a bit adventurous, and a lot cheap. dealer quoted me 320 or so...

so i have figured out that my p0158 error code is for the rear left (passenger) sensor. correct me if i am wrong, but i think that the pigtail runs all the way from the post-cat location to the right side of the engine (facing engine).

q's

is this correct?

why is it so damn long?

what is the best way to run the wire without it hitting hot/sharp engine/exhaust parts?

i am a bit of a novice here, but i am feeling a bit adventurous, and a lot cheap. dealer quoted me 320 or so...

Dealer will be highest $$ - local shops can do it for less with a less expensive part, and you may be able to provide the part:

http://oxygensensors.com

I imagine some sensors are too cheap, but a bosch sensor is still top shelf in my book. Compare these prices to dealer and see if it helps.

It is basically plug-and-play, but they don't always come out happily. They sell a special socket which may be helpful.

Sometimes, when it's all said and done, using a shop makes sense when something does go WRONG on the install, and all you have to do is say "Well, you guys broke it, so you guys make it right." O2 sensors can be really easy, or else way too difficult.

m.

Dealer will be highest $$ - local shops can do it for less with a less expensive part, and you may be able to provide the part:

http://oxygensensors.com

I imagine some sensors are too cheap, but a bosch sensor is still top shelf in my book. Compare these prices to dealer and see if it helps.

It is basically plug-and-play, but they don't always come out happily. They sell a special socket which may be helpful.

Sometimes, when it's all said and done, using a shop makes sense when something does go WRONG on the install, and all you have to do is say "Well, you guys broke it, so you guys make it right." O2 sensors can be really easy, or else way too difficult.

m.

I had a rear sensor go (can't remember which one) and the dealer was the cheapest, so they got the work.

My regular shop says (as noted by herm) that O2 sensors can be a real pain :furious: .