Traction on Slippery Surfaces

NissanPerson

there is also a difference in spline counts.. pre 90's had 27 spline.. 90-95 are 28 spline (just FYI) oh yeah.. i have the LSD...

Slick, or anyone, please forgive my ignorance but I have just come across an LSD out of an 88 that I can pick up for $50.00. I have a 95 XE 5spd. You mentioned in the above post of a spline configuration difference. Is is possible to swap out the whole rear end (axles included) from the 88 to the 95? :confused:

Thanks!

I have a stupid question...are you taken it OUT of 4x4 mode when you park in the driveway?

Not sure about the 92, but with my 97 if i'm stopped in 2wd mode and i shift into 4x4 mode, i have to drive forward for a litlle bit before the hubs engage.

No it's in 4wd. I think it was basically the fact that it's an open diff and the front wheel was "wedged" by the snow ridge. Oh well, if the only place I get stuck is IN my driveway I'm not going to complain...at least I would only have to walk 30 feet to keep from freezing! :-D

Could be that ur hubs work fine, but where not engaged yet. Sometimes if they are worn or need cleaning, they don't engage untill you roll back or ahead a bit... At least thats what I found with mine.

When I put it in reverse these chocks, I'm assuming, stop my front wheels from turning and my back wheel will sit and spin...

If your back wheels are spinning and your front wheels aren't, then you do not have your four wheel drive operating! At least one front wheel should be spinning.

Check your hubs first, linkage and transfer case after. It's not in the rear end, that is working. The front end is not doing it's job.

Brian

No it's in 4wd. I think it was basically the fact that it's an open diff and the front wheel was "wedged" by the snow ridge. Oh well, if the only place I get stuck is IN my driveway I'm not going to complain...at least I would only have to walk 30 feet to keep from freezing! :-D

There's no way your 4wd is functioning if neither of your front tires is spinning....

In his case, it may just need more gas to get the hub to lock up. Remember, when he parked he was moving forward with the hub locked. When he is trying to leave, the hub has to unlock in reverse, then re-lock in reverse for either one of the front tires to get any power. That's the very reason the auto hubs suck. They unlock when you change direction and you lose 4WD until it relocks.