PLANNING TO BUY A 1988...ANY ADVISE?

Guest Paolo

HELLO EVERYONE

...IAM NEW TO THE SITE AND LOOKING FOR SOME ADVISE

I AM PLANNING TO BUY A 1988 PATHY

NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE

IT WOULD BE 6 CYL. MANUAL TRANS ...AND 159XXX KM OLD...

THE RIG LOOKS VERY HEALTHY ....

IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW THIS MODEL REALLY IS

AND THE GAS MILEAGE I AM GOING TO GET

THINGS TO LOOK AT BEFORE BUYING

ETC ETC...

I GLADLY APPRECIATE IN ADVANCE

:bow: :bow: :bow:

PAOLO

I've got some advice, theres a key on your keyboard called caps lock, press it please ;)

On to the truck:

159K isn't a LOT on these trucks, particularly if they've been taken care of.

You can expect roughly 15mpg from it, give or take 2mpg.

You might check for rust -- under the rear seats is good place to look.

I'm sure someone else can give you a better idea of what to check....

How much do they want for it?

Thank U Harbinger...

Actually I live in Costarica (central america)

here this 1988 model goes for around 4000 us $

...I am sure I can get it for 3500 us $

Do U think is a reasonable price?

Paolo

ps

what's wrong with capital letters anyway ;)

you can probably get a better deal, but it all depends on your area and the condition of the pathy....but don't buy it to save on gas, it's a guzzler.....I got mine for 4000 usd on ebay.....but did have the small rust hole under rear seats.....(look under the insulation pad) but seems to have ok mileage for the year.

Harbinger

Unfortunately cars pay a lot of import taxes down here

and gas is about 80 cents a liter......

around the same money i could find a land cruiser 1970-1981 ...diesel .....with a little rust

what in your opinion would be the best car?

I love my pathy, but a diesel Landcruiser for the same price? Hmmmm.....might wanna look into that one. Thats on you....both nice options, get the land cruiser if you are going to be hitting the trails....thats only my opinion though.

Definately check for rust under the rear seats and under the gas pedal where your right heel sits. These trucks are notorious for rust in those areas. It's actually pretty easy to repair, but check it out so you know what you're getting into.

Like Harbinger and govols said, it really sucks down the gas so be prepared for that as well.

If you do decide to buy it, the first thing you want to take care of is filling the transmission with the correct type and amount of lubricant. You need to fill it with 5.1 litres of GL-4, not the 3.6 litres that the manuals state. There has been some recent discussion that oils rated for use in both GL-4 and GL-5 applications would work, but there also been discussion that GL-5 will damage the synchros in the trans because of the detergent additives in it. I'd go with a synthetic GL-4 (that's what's in the new trans of my '87 and no problems at all). Click here for the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that Nissan issued about the increase in lubricant you should put in the manual transmission. The easiest way to fill it is to remove the shifter and pour it through the hole.

It's a very capable and reliable 4X4, but the weak spot is the center link (It's the rod that connects the front wheels together). The center link is perfectly fine for street use and mild off-road driving, like dirt roads and trails and such, but if you plan on doing any aggressive stuff, you need to upgrade it. The force applied to it when in those conditions will twist it and make the holes that the tie rod ends mount in go from round to oval, thereby ruining your alignment and making the steering and handling very sloppy. I don't mean to scare you, but like I said be prepared to break a stock one if you plan on driving in the rough stuff.

The VG30 motor in it will run forever, as long as it's adequately maintained with oil changes and replacing the timing belt at the required interval (every 60,000 miles).

Even with the aforementioned shortcomings, I feel it's the best 4x4 in it's class. It's not too expensive, it's large enough to fit what you want, small enough to fit where you want, reliable, looks good, and pretty easy to repair if needed.

Sorry for the long post, but I got on a roll. I hope I covered most of your concerns.

Talk the guy down to $3,200 and buy it. You'll love it.

:D Thank U Very much JJ

I will make sure I check with all this precious info in case I buy the "pathy"

basically it seems that these trucks are pretty good indeed

.. all i am scared about is the gas mileage.....

but we'll see if I do not find the right land cruiser diesel for the right $

then this nissan is my second choice....only God knows

blessings everyone

Paolo

:)

dang. 4000 bucks? i got my 88 for 900 bucks with no rust or anything. just needed a new fuel filter/airfilter, general tuneup. it's served me well through all the stuff i've put it through, basically just dogging it through mud everyday.

the only problem i've had with it is the damn alt frying everytime i go through holes over my tires deep. and my dang tick tick exhaust leak and busted cat thanks to a log i drove over.