SE Differential

02silverpathy

Does anyone know how to ID an SE rear diff?? Are there numbers on a tag or a stamp or anything that could tell you whats up?? I have 3 R50's near me but the JY has no idea what model they were and due to the pickins left me neither!!! If I had to guess I would say that one is an XE and one is and LE, but the third could be an SE...all three have their rears in them. The one that I think is an SE has leather and flares....the leather is not power and the flares are not color keyed with the truck...so maybe an SE??

Any help is appreciated!

to answer some of nissandoms47 question

which gets better milage - 4.3. in simple terms the engine will be reving less. however the engine will have to work harder to push the car up a hill compared to a car with a diff with 4.6.

as for 31" tyres and ratios. well it depends how much power your engine has. if it pushes the car round fine with 4.3 then no worries.

you can change ratios to make your car go better, but its just expensive. especially since you would have to get TWO ring and pinion's. you could spend a stack of money on engine mods for far better results in most cases, if you think your underpowered.

just for a bit of perspective - i have 4.8's and 31" tyres and a 3.8L v6, with heaps of power. i get real dumb economy, but put in on the trail and theres no stop'n me. - i fear no hill....... :D:D:wacko:

Edited by sw

A jeeper friend of mine confirmed this before I came back to see all of these reponses that you must change both or you will drag you truck with one or the other!! or perhaps burn up the T-case! So with 32's on an XE should I just get a locker or should I get the gears and swap??