Heater/AC contol assembly

madhatter_xe

Since I owned my pathfinder the 4(high) setting of my heater/AC would hardly ever work. I pulled out the resistor in the heater core box and cleaned it up and I pulled the blower motor and checked it out and cleaned it up too, and 4 still never works.

SO I decided to pull apart the control assembly in the dash and check out the wires coming from the speed setting controls. The control assembly won't come right out of the dash because of cables for the vents/ducts and the wiring assembly is too short, I think. So I yanked it out half way and pulled the two small screws under the setting controls. THEN when I look in the setting control box above the wires, there are 3 incredibly small springs rolling around that were probably not doing that before I pulled it apart.

Does anybody know if its possible to pull the entire control assembly from the dash so I can work on getting these damn springs back to where they were? or do I have to remove more of the dash?

I have an owners Manual and it doesn't have these springs in it.

Question #2, Is there something else that might be causing the 4 setting to not work??

I'll try to get a camera, pics would explain it better.

Edited by madhatter_xe

i fixed 1 in a 92 hb i donno how similar it is but the cables should have lil black clips that snap around the cable sheething if u can pull those out then u can get the panel out a lil bit and unhook the cable from the switches there were a couple of hidden screws in his but from the pix it looks like u got them out

so i'd look for more screws and try to unhook those cables...if theres a junkyard around that will let u pull ure own stuff and have a truck like ures i might would go experiment on it b/c if u break something on it it wont matter rather than breaking it on ures...hope u get it figured out

well congrats and good luck on getting it back in

Now, time for a beer....or 6.

yea usually after i get done its about a dozen or so but sometimes i have to break into during project to cool the nerves or as my mechanic buddy says to "get my mind right"

LOL, Wow, did this job get alot uglier than it should've been. After some cursing and head scratching I got the dowder cables unhooked and the assembly pulled right out. Now, time for a beer....or 6.

Thanks. :beer:

LOL -- I thought about removing all of that mess when I was rewiring my toolbox. You've made me glad I didn't ;) Congrats on getting it fixed though :beer:

Not to thread jack -- but are these controls supposed to be illuminated? Mine aren't and its driving me nuts. :shrug:

Not to thread jack -- but are these controls supposed to be illuminated? Mine aren't and its driving me nuts. 

yea...i really couldnt explain how it works...its got some foil looking stuff and a bulb or something to that effect...just take a peak and see...i wish i could explain it better but i'd suspect the newer 1's have led's or maybe a couple of bulbs...i have an 87 and i know its the same up to at least on a 92...maybe next week since my dash is mostly apart i can take pix if u'd like

u can actually kinda see it in his pic #2 its the clear/silver looking thing

Edited by unccpathfinder

Not to thread jack -- but are these controls supposed to be illuminated? Mine aren't and its driving me nuts.

No dice, there is a light behind the cover, but its damn near useless with the solid black cover. worst design on earth.

And to make it even stranger, my gf has an 87 nissan sentra and the bloody controls are illuminated!? Figure that one out. ;)

go buy some glow in the dark paint...make a stencil or carfully with a fine paint brush go over all the markings u want to see :lol:

nah i donno what to tell ya...get a 12v light and splice into the cigarette lighter and somehow incoorporate it in the old illumination doo dab or create 1 up... im sure u can come up with something

There's a bulb in there and it should work to illuminate the controls just fine. Mine does.

Note: the plastic face pulls off after you pull the switch knobs off. It snaps into place.

I've had it ripped down to the weird panel behind the face plate before -- it just wasn't real obvious where the bulb was. Maybe i wasn't looking hard enough.

Do we know what type of bulb this takes?

Well I guess some 88's had the illuminated controls and some didn't. because my face plate is solid black plastic.

It'd be sweet to have them light up, but then again, its just 4 controls to remember. :shrug:

I've had it ripped down to the weird panel behind the face plate before -- it just wasn't real obvious where the bulb was. Maybe i wasn't looking hard enough.

The light is directly behind the face plate, so I think that wierd panel you saw is the light. Its a flat silver/clear panel with a small bulb in the middle.