question for a friend about a throttle body spacer

sammyb33

My friend who has an 1999 Pathy, was thinking about purchasing a throttle body spacer as his newest upgrade. He asked me what i thought, and having barely any knowledge on the subject thought best to ask the people who would kno the answer to this question..."Are the gains worth the money i am going to put down for this spacer?"

any help would be much appreciated!!!!

-Sam

thats exactly what i said...because i have the WD21 model..i had no clue about the R50 models...so i was just curious what you all thought!! thanks...and heres another quesiton, is there another mod out there that helps in performance for the R50s????if so this would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Sam

P.S. i have also been trying to get Jeff (the friend im talkin about)on this site but he says he dont like using the net...whatever.....

Edited by sammyb33

Yes, there actually are a few mods that help the performance.

There is a cam set available.

The JWT Pop-charger or similar cone-style intake

and a freer flowing exhaust will help quite a bit.

A word of warning though - The JWT Pop-Charger is known to cause the ECU to think there is a problem with the EVAP system and throw a SES light. It has something to do with the way the adapter plate was manufactured and the flow through the EVAP vacuum line.

I'm working on a way to fix that though. I'm going to try to use a Breather filter on the end of the line and see if that helps my problem.

Throttle body spacers do work. It's just you have to alter evey other thing too.

what do you mean? is it because they dont work with multi port injections???

yea i kno he does also want a free flowing exhaust (or more so of one) and the cams, how much do they run you? because he seems to be extremely tight with his money, i saw a brush guard, taillight guard and step rail package on ebay...for like 100 bucks..he said no....so wondering how much the cams are would help him in this decision, because i can put them in for him, i have the place and tools to do it...so thats not a problem...

-Sam

cams are like 5 big ones and I would have to say if he has any miles on the truck that he will want new valve springs and lifters too...all said with free labor about $750

would you guys agree that you would probably want to have new springs, retainers, seats, lifters, keepers, and seals??? Or am I over doing it?

I thought if you were putting in new cams with larger lobes you would want to make sure that you valves were riding close and not floating.

ok yes..his pathy is barely a baby....

it barely has over 60XXX miles, so new lifters, springs and others wouldnt neccessarily be needed. But still he and i talked about it, and since the quoted price 98 gave me/him was so high he said he wanted to lift it, and get some tires, maybe go for exhaust first!! Thanks for all your help, but vicks i would still like to hear what you meant by what you said

Throttle body spacers do work. It's just you have to alter evey other thing too.

-Sam

Edited by sammyb33

He's right...a TB spacer only helps after you do every other performance mod you can to the engine, including porting and polishing the intake and heads. If there were a big difference from using one on a stock vehicle, we'd see 'em on everybody's car, not just marketed as a "Gain 2 HP With This Amazing New Product" crap.