Bad Gas Mileage, Low Power, Backfire...HELP!

SteeevO

i have been stumped on this issue for over a month now. ever since i drove to utah i have been getting bad gas mileage and very low power.. it has even started to backfire.

please help

thnx

-Steven

Sounds like timing.

Crap, that brings something to mind... for those who might recall I was having issue with the way my Path was running. then it just died.

Turned out to be they crankshaft keys destroying the keyway's in the crank... check them key's!

I know it's not likely your problem but hey, it happened to me and you "don't" want the result I ended up with :(

Crap, that brings something to mind... for those who might recall I was having issue with the way my Path was running. then it just died.

Turned out to be they crankshaft keys destroying the keyway's in the crank... check them key's!

I know it's not likely your problem but hey, it happened to me and you "don't" want the result I ended up with :(

I've seen the cam key break and it can cause timing problems.

I've seen (had) a cam break too :blink:

How was the timing after? :laugh: OK, I'm sorry that's not funny.

Sorry Steve, we got off topic there. Get your timing checked, I bet it's out :aok:

timing would be my guess too. check the cap, rotor and wires pronto.. the other thing that this sounds like a bit is the o2.. did you ever run any codes for this? check all your sensor connections..

I agree with the 02 sensor.

Does this happen only when the engine reaches temp?

Backfires more if driven for a period of time?

i have run codes but i'm nor sure i'm doing it right. it comes back and says 55 so everything is ok...in the computers eyes

it backfires more affter i have been driving for like 15 min.

i replaced the cap rotor wires and spark plugs less than a year ago but i'll have to check it out

if the cap has burn marks on the inside, notice where.. they should be right in the middle of the "spark catcher".. otherwise you have timing issues..

seems that the 02 doesn't always register with the ecu when bad.. may want to clean it up as well as the map sensor while you're at it.

i have run codes but i'm nor sure i'm doing it right. it comes back and says 55 so everything is ok...in the computers eyes

it backfires more affter i have been driving for like 15 min.

i replaced the cap rotor wires and spark plugs less than a year ago but i'll have to check it out

Yes, mine didn't throw any codes when the 02 sensor went. That's why I replaced everything electrical and fuel and still had the problem. Frusterating!

Sounds like it's happeing when it's reaching temp. You may want to try this to rule in/out the 02 sensor. Before the first start of the day, (engine cold) unplug the 02 sensor from the harness (the clip is on the passenger side of the engine bay towards the firewall. You can follow the thicker wire down to the 02 sensor to make sure you are unplugging the right clip). Drive it around for 15 minutes plus (to when the engine comes up to temp) and see if the problem happens.

i checked the timing yesterday and it looked to be fine.... b ut i also have a new problem... i have an unsteady idle and i have this loud tapping sound comming from the engine.... i told my dad about it and he went and took a look .. he says maybe a sticking lifter after listening around for about 5 minutes... what the frigg! how do i fix that if thats even what it is??

i also have a mean oil leak that needs fix'n but i'm gonna take it to the shop for that... i don't feel like pulling the oil pan to check things out.....rather take it in and get it done...

soo frustrated1... i'm a mess right now..!

I can relate to your frustration. I'm having an ongoing idle issue, tried everything I can think of, replaced everything electrical, and still, idle sits at 2k. I've had two shops look at it, and they can't even figure anything out.

ha so i got mostpower back ..replaced teh o2 sensor.. i took it off theparts pathy i have and same with the MAF.. reset the computer and adjusted teh timing and PRESTO!!! major power gains...BUT!!! the tapping is getting louder it's a valve my dad says...

when it first started the tapping would go away at 1100 RMS... went out to a parts unlimited showcase 25 miles away and by the time i got back the tapping was still happening at 2200 RPM's .... so i'm not driving it till saturday.. and that will just be to pull it into the driveway...let the surgery begin.

as far as ur idle problem i had that happening to me too.... but after like 3 months it went away by itself...i couldn't figure it out either