Brake and Anti-Lock brake light

prginocx

About 3 weeks ago it came on so I added a little fluid, although it didn't look low to me, both lights went off and stayed off.

Now they both come on again intermittentlh when I'm driving and NOT using the brakes. They do stay on when I apply the brakes, and the brakes do seem to work normally. What makes these lights come on ?

One does come on and off with the hand Parking brake, but what about the Anti_Lock brakes ?

Are you sure you filled the reservoir to the right level? Sounds to me like the brake fluid is a little low. It's prolly filled enough so the light doesn't come on when your parked, but the light comes on because the brake fluid sloshes around once you start hitting bumps and cornering. I'd fill it to the max line if its not already.

Edited by jj big shoe

Update...

I looked in my records and I realized I had topped off the fluid level way back before Christmas, I just forgot about that. So maybe there is some way the fluid is "evaporating" out of the system. I never do see any fluid leaking on the floor of the garage, though. I'll bleed the system, and see if I can spot a leak in one of the hoses...

Plus I'll start tracking how much brake fluid I add and when....see how fast it is leaking out...

FYI: As your pads wear, the pistons stay extended further to make up for the thinner brake pads.... IE more fluid is in the piston that compresses the pads on to the rotor to make you stop.. hence the dropping fluid.

I have the same problem on a Ford. While fluid level and master cylinder are potential problems this is most likly a sensor going bad. Since it goes out on its own and comes on without touching the brake this is not w "real" problem. Now I am assuming that the brakes appear to work fine. If so then there is a short, or a loose connector, or corroded connector, or bad sensor. These systems are designed to fail on. Therefore if you stop getting a clean signal from the sensor the light comes one. The antilock and brake light will always come on together if the problem is in the antilock circuit. The brake light comes on by itself if there is low fluid or a broke line or even a burned out bulb in the rear lights. It would not come on and off if any of these conditions occurred. (ok maybe on the trail a low fluid problem might cause an on and off) Start by pullin gthe fuse to the antilock circuit and see what happens. But don't leave the fuse out forever, just find the bad signal.

It could be a crappy connection on the ABS sensor on the rear axle. Try wiggling or cleaning it, maybe. The ABS sensor is the only thing with wiring going to it on the front top side of your rear axle. Should be right above where the driveshaft bolts to the rear axle pinion flange.

Well after a little messing around, plus performing all the "Operational" tests recommended in my Mitchell On Demand manuals, I have found a tiny leak in the RF brake line. I'm talking tiny. With my sullen teenage son pressing down on the pedal (Truck running, there is always risk raising teens), tiny droplets are forming on the rubber hose going to the wheel cyl.

I hate this dealership so I guess I'm off to the U-PullIT to try and find one of these hoses. Looks like they have custom fittings on the end. If not I'll cut the rubber way back and create my own hose....

I guess I'll have to use hose material rated for fuel ? Else the brake fluid will eat it up over time ?

P.S. I was only kidding about the fluid "evaporating"....I kinda figured there was a leak somewhere, albiet a really small one. Looks like I've used 3 cups of fluid in 2 months.

Thanks again for all the help guys ! This forum is the greatest.

First let me say never replace a brake hose with a used one. But this is not a dealer only item. Most all auto parts places will have them for reasonable money. Since you found this it should be replaced because it is a source of potential brake failure. However I will be very surprized if this is the reason for the antilock light to go on and off. There just is not a connection.

I think it my be the culprit. Keep in mind that even though it was running, the operating pressure of the brake system while driving is much higher. A small leak while at idle could be the source of the loss of fluid, and thus, the flashing of the brake light on the dash due to sloshing fluid as prior mentioned. Also, if your brake fluid seems to be evaporating, check the blinker fluid, as it has a tendancy to condense in there.