Howdy folks, Long time no see!

Winchester369

Howdy everyone, Been awhile since I've been here, as we have had a busy year moving from Germany back to the states, and seeing the wife off to the desert again,

But I have a quick question for ya folks. I have an 88 Pathy, 4WD but only a 4 Cyl engine. I just bought a boat, a 23ft Sea Ray Weekender cabin cruiser. It's not a big boat, but not a canoe either. Do ya'll think the Pathy can pull it? I myself think it can, but the dealer who i bought the boat from thinks otherwise. But being that it is only a 4 cyl, I do have my worries.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone can offer.

yeah, you're probably pushing it there.. check your manual and see what the towing limit is.. that will answer your question realy quick.

will do.

I don't want to sell my Pathy, as I have had alot of fun in it, but if I am to buy a bigger truck, my wife won't let me keep both...:(.

Wow, that's a lot of boat to tow with a 4cyl, or even a V6 for that matter. I've towed a 16' ski boat loaded with tons of gear and 4 people in the truck over mountain passes with no problems, but that's with a 6 and a far smaller boat. You're talking about a FAR bigger boat on even less motor. One big factor would be the terrain where you live and plan to tow. Actually, in all honesty, I couldn't recommend this at all. That's really just too much for your truck to handle in my opinion. Not only the engine, but the brakes and chassis altogether as far as stability is concerned. Probably not the kind of answer you want to hear, but I wouldn't risk damage to the truck or worse. For that size of boat you'd really be best off with a V8 or at least a very strong 6, and a beefier chassis. It gets to the point where hills and pulling into traffic are plain unsafe, as well as stopping, even if it doesn't hurt the truck.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I towed a 36 foot caravan when my Pathy had only 4 cyls. Never got it out of third gear and 80 kph (50 mph) was the absolute max, and that was down hill. I towed that sucker about 150 ks for a mate and it went through a tank of juice in the process.

Your boat should be a little more wind resistant and not as heavy either. You should be able to tow it but the cost will be high.

Well, I think i am gonna let the Pathy go, and pick up a Suburban my friend wants to get rid of due to the heavy gas milage it uses.

For the record, the boat ramp i will be launching from is only two miles up the road from my house, no hills, and only two turns. But still, tho I don't want to get rid of the pathy, I really don't want to risk the piece of mind that a larger truck can offer.

Hey, you're in the central FLA area, That's AWESOME. we are just above Clearwater.

I'm in Valrico, 30 min. east of Tampa on SR 60. FLApathy and I are planning on a trip to Three Lakes WMA along with a bunch of other Nissan owners in early March. If you have the time, you ought to take the Pathy out one last time before you sell it. :( Not a lot of details yet, but check out Florida Nissan Trailriders for info.

I'm in Valrico, 30 min. east of Tampa on SR 60. FLApathy and I are planning on a trip to Three Lakes WMA along with a bunch of other Nissan owners in early March. If you have the time, you ought to take the Pathy out one last time before you sell it. :( Not a lot of details yet, but check out Florida Nissan Trailriders for info.

March is tied up, becuase that is when the wife comes home for 2 weeks R&R.

:::Checks his '88 Owners manual:::

Let's see, according to Nissan an Pathfinder with a Z24i (4cyl) can handled a trailer weighing as much as 3500lbs (1588kg) with a tongue load of 350lbs (159kg) IF a heavy duty radiator is installed. *Combined weight limit is 7700lbs (3493kg)with the 4cyl... 300lbs (136kg) less than a VG30 equipped model.

When using the stock radiator then the limit is 2000lbs (907kg) and a tongue load of 200lbs (91kg).

88towspecs0zc.th.jpg

Now given the distance that you would be pulling the boat... give it a shot, see how the Pathy handles it. Then decide if it's time to be rid of it in favor of a larger truck. ;)

Edited by RedPath88

Yeah, for 2 miles, I'd give it a shot. You can carefully crawl that distance if need be. Sorry for the negativity before, I was thinking the intent was to take it down the highway or on long trips. Might as well at least give it a shot before sacrificing the Pathy for a beast.