Crankshaft Pulley

Guest pmcimaglia

Guest pmcimaglia

OK, so I gave in and took my Pathfinder to the dealer to resolve the embarrasing "squealing" issue. They called to inform me that the source of the problem was the crankshaft pulley and that it needed replacing. Its hard for me to believe that this could cause the noise since its keyed to the shaft and doesn't ride on bearings. Could it have something to do with the harmonic dampening? If you have any experience with this please chime in. Am I getting "shafted" (pun intended)??

I also see no way that the crankshaft pully can squeal except for a belt squeeling on it (and you don't replace the pully to fix it) Perhaps they meant the tensioner pulley. Perhaps they're just assholes.

I smell a rat somewhere......

Squeals are typically caused by a belt wearing and requiring tightening/replacing or bearings on thier last leg.

Crank Pully(on the bottom) has belts that go around it... does it have a high gloss finish from wear from the belts? Is it rubbing on the lower timing belt cover? Can you get in there and see if the HB is chaffing on the timingcover?

Mookie Posted on Jan 25 2006, 09:34 AM

The AC-Idler pulley will squeal like crazy when it's going out. Did they give you an estimate on the cost?

Thats annoying as hell... Its also the easiest one to get too(on top) P...

Guest pmcimaglia

I just spoke with the technician. The pulleys are mounted to a rubber base that has apparently worn and begun to "kink" (not sure exactly what he means by "kink".....maybe he's referring to resultant effect on the belt). I told him to keep the part so I can inspect it myself and he can show me what the h@ll he means. He said that this is a Nissan design flaw that has since been corrected. My guess is that this creates an imbalance which is transmitted through the belt/pulley system, thus generating the squealing sound. Therefore, the sound isn't technically coming from the pulley itself.

Total cost for two belts, new crankshaft pulley ($220), A/C idler pulley ($65), labor, and 18 smoke breaks: $670

Burning down the Nissan dealership: priceless

Do we have a member close by???

I think a beer and someone with a little more Pathy Exp would be "Priceless on Savings"

Cause Im not picturing what your saying???

The pulleys are mounted to a rubber base that has apparently worn and begun to "kink" (not sure exactly what he means by "kink".....maybe he's referring to resultant effect on the belt).

Granted Ive only been under 2 R50 hoods and both times it was for tightening a belt.

That or its techno babble so they can get some $$$ for nothing.

Edited by Casey.T

I have NEVER heard of a pully mounted to a rubber base. sounds like BS to me. Also, screw the labor, do it yourself. Belts are cheap. Sounds like they want to rake you for about $400 for labor. Pulley's for the 96-00 pathy are dealer list at 214.88 but I can get for 161.16 at my local dealer. The tensioner lists for $66.53. Local is 49.90. T-belt lists $38.69. 29.02 local.

You can mail-order them from my dealer but I'm not sure how much shipping would be. If it's too much, let me know and I can pick tehm up local and send USPS in a flat-rate box for like 8 bucks.

Conicelli Nissan

Guest pmcimaglia

The verdict is in. The pulley was completely separated from the base, exposing the rubber damper. There is about a 3/4" gap. I attached a pic. The mechanic said that he has seen this about a hundred times with Nissans, especially on Pathfinders. Its obvious now why the thing was so noisy.

post-9-1138229577.jpg

Edited by pmcimaglia

WOW.... That has to be a first....

Get that in the tips and tricks and things to look for....

Fact Im gonna go look at a used 2000 today just so I can see it with my own 2 eyes.... And I will double check all 3 of mine.....

Edited by Casey.T

Guest pmcimaglia

If anyone wants to see more (or better) pics I can snap a few more. Maybe they will be useful for a Tips and Tricks posting. Just let me know. Also, the nicks that you see in the metal were from the mechanic who had a VERY hard time taking the part off. It wasn't as beat up as it appears.....I would have sh!t a brick if it was.

I just got back from looking at a 2000 R50 the crank pully appeared to be solid just like my 91 and 95... Granted I could not take it out and look at real close..

I pulled the one from my 91 out of the back, hb and all its solid... Looked in and around on the 95 and it appears to be the same as the 91...