Knock @ O2's replacement fare price?

Guest M3U

:confused: Hello dear Pathfinder's people;

Is the first time that I own a Nissan Path. I want to know is this kind a Suv's are real good and safe. Their repairs look taht are very expensive. My path doesn't pass inspection, because the Knock, and 2 Oxigen sensors. The mechanic replaceit and charge me us$1,200 :nono: :confused: with oil change, gasket , inspection and labor. I want ot know is that price is fair for this kind of suv.

I like this suv a lot but looks taht is very expensive to mantein.

Thanks for your help guys :aok:

Not so fast Dernt.....

Depending on where he took it, it might not be so crazy. To replace the KS, you have to remove the entire intake manifold (upper and lower) just to get at it, and that requires a complete teardown of the intake system, replacing the gaskets, and all that stuff. Those gaskets alone run about $80-90 from a dealer. The KS is roughly $150 from a dealer.

Then the O2 sensors are IIRC $172 from the dealer, each, and there's 4 of them, and then you have labor.

So, if you really add it up and add up every little bit and piece like a dealership would, $1200 seems like a pretty legitimate price for that job. However, there is quite a bit of sticker shock when you think...damn, I just wanted a few sensors replaced!

• 2 weeks later...

ive had my knock sensor and o2 senson codes for 1 year and 15,000 miles now .. the check engine light goes away in a week and comes on again in maybe 2 months .. i was told by nissan mechanics its a common problem and dont worry about it if ur state doesnt have emission check ..i havent worried about it and the pathy runs great ...

or just go to autozone and erase the check engine light if its bothering so much ..

It was the knock sensor replacement that killed ya. A bad knock sensor (common on the VG33 motor) won't trigger a check-engine light that causes an inspection to fail. Therefore, it's not absolutely necessary to replace it. It was the bad O2 sensors that caused the CEL and the failed inspection.

But what's done is done. Oh well. Unless you're doing other work that requires removal of the manifold, save yourself the cash and don't bother fussing with the KS.

• 2 weeks later...

so my pathy has 4 o sensors 1 knock sensor any of you use synthetic oil? and will i be able to pop that drain bolt with a long torque wrench?? :blink:

Edited by path98