Overdrive ?

solid snake

I know this may sound dumb to most of you, but here it goes anyway. This is my first SUV I have owned, and I have a question about my O/D. I started to fiddle with it today while driving and did notice a little but of an accelration gain when it was off. when it was on it was a little sluggish. How is it really suppose to work, I don't think mine works properly, then again I don't know how it works.

Hey there SS-If I remember correctly with the overdrive on your transmission functions as normal, ie. full range of gears. When overdrive is off the transmission will not shift past 3rd gear. This is for when you are driving in the mountains or on back roads and do not want to lose power by having the tranny shift into a higher gear. This is probably why you are feeling better acceleration with it off-not shifting past 3rd-more power. As for being sluggish with it off I'm not sure if its anything more than just your normal pathy sluggishness.

I have also had a mechanic tell me to use O/D off in in town to help the tranny not shift so much and therefore extend its life(not with pathy, it was an '83 Volvo). not sure if he was right but i could never remember to do it and the car had 220,000 miles when i sold it.

Hope this helps

ticker :aok:

Edited by ticker