top of strut problem

Guest rich

Hello, this is my first post. I lost break pressure, last week, found a leak @ the FL metal to rubber breakline coupler. N0 PROBLEM, right, well when I took off the wheel I found a split in the inside wheel well. It seems as though the top of the well (the part around the top strut end) is breaking off from the frame/body. The two parts coming apart caused the break line failure. I was wondering if there are any weel-well re-inforcing plates, or maybe some custom fabricated that could be incorporated to fix this problem. I don't do any real off-roading. I will add a picture tomorrow.

thanks,

Rich

Keep in mind that this pic was taken with the truck jacked on the frame & the wheel assembly hanging free, If I pull up on the front rotor, the broken section moves up (it gets a lot worse with the weight of front end on it).I guess what I'm looking for is an after-market manufacturer of the inner fender/wheel-well (near Ottawa, ON, Canada). +Some fine mig work. By the way, it's a 1998 4X4 Pathfinder.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Rich

post-9-1137447969.jpg

With these being a unibody, I'ld say that's a structural problem and should be attended to pronto, like quick. I, myself wouldn't be driving on that :blink: , that being said, whatever you do to fix it should probably be checked out by a certified shop just to make sure that it is still safe.

Maybe check with a Nissan autobody shop, they may be able to get you the panel you are looking for.

Please stop driving immediately!

If I am seeing what I think I'm seeing, your strut tower is breaking free from the unibody - and will get only worse until the top of the strut breaks loose completely, which will result in the front left corner collapsing downward and likely a loss of steering and control.

There must be massive rust damage and/or a serious impact to cause that to break. Take it to a very reputable repair shop and get it fixed. It will require lots of fabrication and needs to be done well.

If I'm not mistaken, Vengeful had a problem similar to yours a while back, and got it fixed.......

Calling Vengeful to thread 7469!!!!! :P

As previously stated though, stop driving it......it's a real safety hazzard. :contract:

Yup...

Same thing happened to me when I had an "accident" on the beach. I got run off the main tracks and into a big hole by a Jeep, which subsequently launched the front end of my truck about 7 feet in the air according to bystanders, and when the back tires hit the up side of the hole it snapped the front end back down to the ground, causing what you see on your truck.

Edit: By the way, my neck still hurts from that...

Mind you, I did the stupid thing and drove 350 miles back home from the beach on it.

My insurance actually took care of it for me because it was a non-fault "incident". I took it to a body shop and they actually had to cut away the whole inner fender skin at the firewall and weld a new one in. Cost my insurance company $2600 in parts, labor and paint.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK LIKE THAT, you are putting your life, as well as those around you and those who ride with you in danger. Call your insurance company, make up a story about a big pothole or something that you didnt see until it was too late (raining, nighttime...). If you have a good insurance company, you'll only be responsible for the deductible, and it should be ruled as a non-fault incident so it wont effect your rates. But...MOST IMPORTANTLY, AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK. In the 350 miles I drove home on the interstate (very smooth road), the tear grew from only 50% of the mount, to only about 10% of the mount still intact. GET IT FIXED RIGHT AWAY. Go to a reputable body shop, IMMEDIATELY.

Good luck and be safe.

Edited again for stupid spelling errors.

Edited by vengeful

• 2 weeks later...

It sat as soon as I found this problem. I consulted a body professional, I ended up doing the work with the assistance of a very good welder. I removed the strut, abs wires, & broken brake line, pulled the strut tower back into position. Then MIGed 3/16" contoured plate steel to the inner fender wall. Ultimately rust did cause this problem but by seeing how thin the inner fender wall is, it doesn't surprise me that this happened. The pathy is only a 1998 with only 3 small (1"X1") spots of body rust under the paint. I imagine that we will see more of this as other pathy's begin to rust.

Thanks for the comments,

Rich