Cruise Fuse?

mtpathy

Hey all, i have a 94 v6 se 5spd and my cruise dont work. the dash switch comes on and lights up, but it wont set.

i have determined that the cancel switch above the brake pedal does not get power when the main switch is turned on. if i supply 12v to the switch the cruise works flawlessly. so my question, is there a cruise fuse or where does the cruise cancle switch get its power.

there is a clutch cancel switch, above clutch pedal, but it has power.

thanks

jeff

theres two brake switches, the one for the cruise on my truck has a grey wire and a blue wire with yellow stripe, neither has 12v (root of the problem). The other switch looks similar, but has power to one terminal.

if i put 12v to the grey wire on the cruise switch my cruise works perfect. go figure.

Jeff

Yes, one of those switches is to decativate the cruise when you step on the brake... you have found the problem !! Try giving the wire power and then tripping the switch... if the cruise cuts off, you have the right side, if it doesn't, chase the other wire to see where it is losing power ? does that make sense ?? If not, I can try again.

B

• 1 year later...

I'm going to guess that u guy's horns dont work either?

I had this issue on my 95 and its a pretty easy fix... the cruise on the steering wheel is powered from the disk that the horn is powered by...the copper pushpins wear down and dont contact anymore leaving the cruise worthless (my cruise went a long time before the horn)...

so after probing i got it fixed...lemmie load up the pix and i'll post the easy fast cheap fix...

Steps I took:

~Removed steering column shrouding

~removed Phillips head screw on bottom of steering wheel

~removed horn assembly

~removed steering wheel (broke nut loose, left about 4 threads on, snatched it loose to not require a puller, loosened nut and pulled wheel off)

~Pulled back steering wheel shroud off, placed washers between that and steering wheel to push contact circle downward

~installed in reverse order

Pix:

Copper dust/shavings from posts

2265146_47_full.jpg

horn assembly removed (screws that will need to be loosened to remove rear shroud but not all of them)

2265146_48_full.jpg

steering wheel removed and the pins taht are eroded away:

2265146_49_full.jpg

Shroud side that faced the steering wheel with homemade washers (i didnt have any that size so i used 2 different electrical connector hoops that I cut the wire crimp side off of )

2265146_50_full.jpg

showing the washers between rear shroud and steering wheel with screws before tightening down:

2265146_51_full.jpg

the total project took me about 30-45 mins including diagnosing the problem (I had noticed sometimes in a strong turn the horn would work and what led me to figuring this out and hearing that the new nissans power all systems off of one another nad if 1 fails others fail...i then noticed the curise power came from that contact ring and thats that...

hope this helps a couple of u guys out...

Edited by unccpathfinder

• 3 months later...

Hey, Thanks for these pics.

I just purchased my 95 XE, yep cruise and the horn does not work.

The owner ran a button below the steering wheel for a horn. Looks like I got a home door bell on my pathy.

I really like to fix this. One thing I notice is the steering wheel cover. It was never put back on correctly. What holds the steering wheel front in place? It looks like it clips in, but it seems not to be the case. Any help? Thanks man..

Steps I took:

~Removed steering column shrouding

~removed Phillips head screw on bottom of steering wheel

~removed horn assembly

~removed steering wheel (broke nut loose, left about 4 threads on, snatched it loose to not require a puller, loosened nut and pulled wheel off)

~Pulled back steering wheel shroud off, placed washers between that and steering wheel to push contact circle downward

~installed in reverse order

Pix:

Copper dust/shavings from posts

2265146_47_full.jpg

on the very bottom side of the column theres a spot thats recessed theres a phillips head in there pull that out and then the center will putt out (it has 2 clips on it as well)

Thanks. I will check it in the AM to see if that screw is still there (I hope)

-

if its not there then just reach behind the horn and pull carefully to make sure he didnt jerry rig it some other way...if the screw is out it should come out with a lil persuasion but not too much...I was pulling hard and finally was like something aint quite right here and looked under and sure enough there was the screw...remember the interiors engineer's job is to put the fasteners where they can't be seen from the passenger/driver POV so if its not coming theres still something connected somewhere

Ok all done!

The oem horn is working :)

P1020322.jpg

P1020326.jpg

But.. but....The only problem now is the front cover that covers the steering wheel caseing is not going back into place correctly. I hit it hard to get it to take and hope to click in, but no go. It stays closed, but not really well. It looks like in one area it looks as if the steering wheel cover is warped or something. So when I make sharp U-turn the steering wheel cover is rubbing the plastic colum that covers the ignition switch cover..

Here:

The warp in the cover??

P1020334.jpg

P1020333.jpg

if its not there then just reach behind the horn and pull carefully to make sure he didnt jerry rig it some other way...if the screw is out it should come out with a lil persuasion but not too much...I was pulling hard and finally was like something aint quite right here and looked under and sure enough there was the screw...remember the interiors engineer's job is to put the fasteners where they can't be seen from the passenger/driver POV so if its not coming theres still something connected somewhere
Edited by Xmas

I hit it hard to get it to take and hope to click in, but no go....not sure which piece your speaking of...is it the piece that you shimmed out? if you did my el cheapo fix? then you may have it shimmed too much...you can replace those posts and not have to shim it...

how bad does it rub? to the point it could be a safety issue? if so i'd get that taken care of ASAP

truck looks good BTW