Help Needed 97 wont start

Guest shookler

Guest shookler

Ok, I have a 97 pathfinder and love it. trouble free. wife drove it to the store and returned. parked it. went out the next morning and it will not start. turns over fine. all lights and everything works. just wont start. where do i begin with trying to make it run. i am very mechanically inclined but modern vehicle dumb. It is an automatic and I have wiggled the shifter and tried to start it also, no luck.

thanks in advance

lshook

mmm... I had a similar issue when the fuel pump relay went... (it's under the hood, pass side, in a box of relays...) I was able to gently pursude it (shake/smack/beat) a few times and it started...

If it won't start, it's either not getting fuel or not getting spark.

To verify whether you're getting fuel, immediately after cranking, pull a spark plug and check to see if it's wet with gas. Another way to tell is to smell the tailpipe after/during cranking. If it smells strongly of gas, then you're getting fuel. That means the problem is ignition. The ignition coil (embedded in the distributor) may have failed.

If you're not getting fuel, then it could be a failed fuel pump or its electrical circuit.

Guest shookler

Well, I removed the FP relay, put it back in, checked for spark, has spark, I can smell fuel after trying to start it, but I couldnt find the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Does this thing have a crank angle sensor somewhere? Anyway, Its off to the shop by rollback on Saturday if I cant figure it out. Any other suggestions???

humm sounds like the problem im having. my crank angle sensor or crankshaft position sensor i think they are hte same thing got all screwed up. so i need to replace it. im still in the process but im sure thats my problem cause my pathy has all the same symptoms as yours