1996 pathfinder stalling & jerking ?

Guest jjuelke

Guest jjuelke

I have a 1996 pathfinder with 108000 miles. It is stalling and jerking under light acceleration. It seems to do it once the engine has warmed up to operating temp. I have checked out the computer with a scan tool and it is not running any codes. I have checked all of the plug wires for resistance and all of them are with in specs. I also checked the MAF sensor, and the distributor/ignition and both seem to be good. any suggestions?

I replaced the fuel filter today, 12/31/05 and it is still stalling.

The engine runs fine when not in gear. I can rev it up with no hesitation or stalling, but when I am in gear driving under light accelleration, it seems like the engine is loosing at least half of its power and then gaining it back a second later causing really bad jerking. ??

Oh and the temp is almost 60 degrees so freezing shouldn't be the problem.

Edited by jjuelke

just a shot in the dark, but how about the coil? Most will test good when cold, but when warmed up, they been known to fail. I have an '88 camry (I couldn't pass up the deal) that was doing the same thing. I changed the coil and haven't had the problem since. Maybe also the egr system? Good Luck!

Since you say it happens when the engine warms up, I'm thinking 02 sensor. Sometimes you will get a code, sometimes you won't. I replaced everything fuel and electrical before figuring out it was the 02 sensor as mine didn't spit out a code.

I had a stalling jerking problem, turned out to be the top electrode on a Bosch spark plug had come undone and was stuck in the plug wire when i pulled out to check!!! Those little things unscrew off the spark plug and it was all the way off and stuck in the plug wire connector. It was so small I was lucky to notice it messed up!!

Just an idea, check all your spark out.

Later, I checked all the plugs and 3 of the 6 had loose electrodes

Edited by FUELER

upon rereading your post I was reminded of a similar prob I had on my BMW.

When I installed the cold air intake and the K+N cone filters I had to create a rubber bushing to match the hose diameters. a few months down the road I experiance the same problem you described. The problem was some of the bushing material I had used had slipped out of place and was causing a diminished and turbulent flow to the Mass Air Sensor. I also could smell that the car was running a little rich. after I cleared the mess the problem was gone.

If you checked the MAS make sure you didn't damage it and that there isn;t something inside the airbox itself that is causiong a disruption or blockage.

The O2 sensor is a possible culprit too.

Edited by oilman

So it does it when warm and not in gear? Or only when it's warm and in gear? If it does NOT do it when warm and NOT in gear, start checking your tranny for broken mounts maybe it's binding. Seems wierd that it only does it when warm and in gear.

You got me! (I give up easily) :shrug: