couple of questions

Oldpathy

To measure if your vehicle is level, where do you take the measurement?

I used the bottom edge of the front and rear bumpers. After I got new tires, at the proper inflation, it looked like the rear was higher than the front. That got me thinking because my front tires were wearing out on the inside edge and squealed going around corners. They always told me geometry class would be useful for something. The difference front to rear was 1.75 inches with the front being lower. I crawled underneath and started turning the torsion bars up until I had the front and rear measuring the same. Made a BIG difference on handling and the ride no longer felt mushy. But offically where should I have taken my measurments?

Second question: I saw in another thread that someone had replaced the pins in their tire carrier. HOW? The carrier on my 92 is frozen. It takes two men and a boy to open it. The carrier on my 93 rattles, I was gonna to swap them out. Is there a way to put a grease fitting in these carriers, I saw that there is a hole in the hinge do ya think I could put a zerk fitting in there?

#3: how do you go about putting an amp or "sound system" in.? My 92 had one but they took the amp out, the monster wires are still there but no amp. I was thinking about just getting a bazooka from Walmaart to increase the bass. Its an amp and two woofers in a long tube. My god, I'm 53 years old and wondering how to increase the bass................ but my boys are 14, I'm just trying to show them I'm "off the chain" or what ever "cool" is called this week.

One more: How do you get the headliner completely out and reinstall it? My 93 has speakers in the headliner and I'd like to put that headliner in the 92. Any thoughts?

1. From the center of the hub inside the wheel to the bottom edge of the fender or fender flare. Actually, it doesn't really matter. Just make consistent measurements if you want accurate results. ;) The front end sags more than the rear because it's both heavier and subjected to more side-loading when turning, and torsion bars tend to sag after a while anyway. A good even stance is what I recommend the torsion bars be adjusted to maintain.

2. They can be pressed out with a hydraulic press or drilled out and re-fitted carefully with new pins. Have you tried soaking the hinge pins in penetrating lubricant and then working the carrier back and forth through a full range of motion to see if it loosens up? You might be surprised at what a good workout can do for rusty hinges.

3. I'd just let a stereo shop take care of installing a stereo if you've never done it before. There's a bit of wiring to do there, but if you're comfy with that feel free to ask specifics.

4. Everything inside pops off or unscrews with a fairly obvious screw or bolt. Snaps and clips hold all the panels and headliner trim on. I don't know if the ceiling panels will have speaker mounts in them if your other Pathy doesn't have them there already though...so make sure before taking anything apart too far.

Hope that helps.

In reply to #1, Pathfinders sit a bit higher in the rear. I read somewhere (probably on 88's site) the rear suspension has more travel and both front and rear are set for mid travel (or something like that), but another reason the rear sits higher is to accomadate cargo loads. It's normal. When you check side to side, make certain you are on level ground.

I have tried WD-40 aand that white spray grease. It loosened up a bit but after sitting a couple days its as stiff as ever. I don't think the carrier has ever been opened and she has never been mistreated, except by that butcher that I guess "Thought" he knew how to install a CD player, busted most of the plastic clips and screw holes.

After I raised the front end to be level I started thinking about the back end being higher for carrying capacity. But I drive it more empty than I do hauling stuff. NEVER haul bales of hay in the back! I saw a lady the other day that had two miniature horse in the back of hers.

I've installed lots of stereos over the years sso the wiring dosen't bother me. I guess I was asking what I should get that would impress my boys but not send me to the poor house. Is 300 watts enough to rattle windows?