Hot exhaust..melting carpet..carpet on fire!

SteeevO

holy crap the intercooler made that much difference to the inlet temperature! :)

sweet...I wanted to get a Pyrometer to check that exact same thing.

Geordie, as far as I was aware diesels run cooler than petrols, but I don't know specifically between the TDs and the VGs.

Justin

(hows the steering BTW) ?

but then when i got it to the shop it had stopped leaking and there was no sign of it leaking at all....arg!! but hopefully everything will pull together here really soon....

tighten the little bastard up anyway. If it's the hose I'm thinking of (about 4 inches long), it's notorious for leaking when it's cold and sealing when the engine warms up. Tough to find a fuel leak since it evaps so well. The fun part... when it's leaking, it's dumping fuel on top of your engine and could potentially warm your vehicle up quickly.

• 8 months later...
it's all good. i have everything it's just finding the time...but i'm planning on finishing it up in 2 - 3 weeks or so. i'm having a mobile welder come to my house to weld teh brackets to my frame. but that will be after it gets out of the shop... i woke up this morning and had a feeling i should look under the hood.. i had still been getting crappy gas mileage and i had a small oil leak... i started teh pathy and there was gas comming from a fuel line feeding the injectors.. i know a simple fix but since i had to take it in for the oil leak anyways i figured i'd let the shop do it.. i know the guy that owns it anyways and he cuts me deals.... but then when i got it to the shop it had stopped leaking and there was no sign of it leaking at all....arg!! but hopefully everything will pull together here really soon....

hopefully i wll get my power back.. and it will run normal again.. they have already checked the cat and it looked fine.. and they messed with the timing a little and now fixing the fuel leak and oil leak....... i just want my pathy back.

SteeevO, then what happened with your "Hot exhaust..melting carpet..carpet on fire!" issue?. It was caused by the cat or not?

In my 93' Pathy SEV6, I have a similar problem : Lack power, rear passenger carpet warm, sulphur smell exhaust.

Regards,

Been there before the people that owned my 92 before me had the exhaust "fixed".... i say "fixed" because they made a new Y pipe and instead of drilling holes in the flanges the torched thru them thus warping them so they used two gaskets (not good) nor do i have a heat sheild. so one day im driving a my truck fills with smoke that sucked i tear my carpet out and i have a 1 foot by 8 inch hole in my floor board so i weld it up nice and good and put some heat insulation in almost all better now... just need a heat sheild!!!!!

welp my floor still heats up and i have had to different engines in there so it's jsut the headers i'm just going to have a heat shield made. and rivted to the floorpan.

the casue of the fire was the heat melted insulation off of the speaker wire i had under there.. bare live wires + carpet = lots of smoke and fire.. it was crazy but i rerouted my wires and laid dynamat down to help with sound/ insulation.. it helps a little but the headshield should to the trick. bte my pathy is alot quieter now.. i ust need to cover the sides of the pathy where the rear speakers are and the back hatch and roof.. then it should be much quieter.. if you are having the sulfer smell your cat is cloged.. get a new one.