ABS on a '94

fastskier

I have a 94 Pathfinder SE (I think) - it has the lego wheels with 31's stock. The other day I was noticing that the ABS light came on when I started it and then turned off after a little bit. Basically like it should. My question is - does my pathy have ABS? It sure doesn't feel like it when I'm locked up sliding down the road with my studs trying to dig into something. Is there something wrong with my abs?

I tried searching but I couldn't really find anything on this.

Thanks,

Paul

90-95 were available with rear abs. If you have the light in the dash, odds are it is installed on the truck. Perhaps it is not working correctly ? If the ABS light flickers or comes on when you drive it, ther is a fault and it is disabled and functioning as 'normal' brakes. There is a control unit under the drivers seat, an actuator by the second cross member and a sensor unit at the rear pumpkin.

B

I asked about this same thing earlier and I bet your abs is working. It just doesn't seem like it because your front wheels which are getting more braking power are locking while you rear wheels with the abs are not. It actually helps on dry pavement fairly well as I've tried it. But on ice or snow or anything slippery, it's pretty much useless. Rear abs just seems kind of dumb to me, if anything, you would think it would be on the front, as the purpose of abs is to help you steer in emergency braking conditions. If the fronts are locked and the rears are not, the rear won't come forward on you, but you can't steer, so what's the point? Anyway, that's my little rear abs rant. hehe :shrug:

I have a ABS light that comes on when ever I start my pathy. I have tryed getting it to work and it never has. I have a 94XE tho with drums. I have never had ABS so i dont miss it at all.

Even says ABS on my insurence bill :huh:

Yup, my lady's 94 has ABS and it accually works... but you gotta half break your foot smashin the brake to get it to activate... only time i ever really noticed it is when i serviced the brakes and had to bleed the whole system.... gettin that damn ABS light to turn off was a BEARCAT!!!... just for reference, the "abs valve" is inside the passenger side frame-rail about centered in the vehicle... doesnt look like much just has a couple wires to it and some steel brake-line...

- geeky907