main oil seal leak

packie88

found out a little awhile ago that i have a main oil seal leak. not big enough to wear its affecting the vehicel but its still there. just wondering what my options are. because to get it fixed im pretty sure that i haev to pull the engine.

i dont plan on doing that, and im not that stupid theres a reason it says "radiatior stop leak". i mean as of now its not really threating to the runnign of the pathy. but im jsut starting to look for my options for the future.

was not implying that you would even consider it. was also amazed at my buddy's level of stupidity.

personally, I like oil leaks. Keep it topped off and you extend the time between oil changes cause you're always adding fresh. hehehehe

Edited by k9sar

was not implying that you would even consider it. was also amazed at my buddy's level of stupidity.

personally, I like oil leaks. Keep it topped off and you extend the time between oil changes cause you're always adding fresh. hehehehe

aha! you do work for exxon. ;)

A slight increase in oil weight may be an option if you're not in an area affected by extreme low temperatures (10w40, 20w50, straight 30W, etc) and may result in a slight decrease in leak rate. Do not change to a heavier oil than recommended in the manual if you live in a cold area - tough to crank an engine full of molasses! Additives like stop leak (engine, not rad!) may provide temporary relief, but have been known to cause seal deterioration after extended periods (and not just the seal that was leaking - think every seal in your mill!). In general, your options are: 1)replace the seal, 2)drip and fill, repeat as necessary, 3)ignore it - it'll go away when the engine seizes due to lack of oil!

Sorry to sound ignorant here (but what else do you expect from the new guy)..... but most the "motorcycles" around here have atleast a 8inch wide tire on em.... and most of my oil-leaks leave a single dime-sized drip every couple miles..... how is this dangerous to motorcycles? and is this any more dangerous then riding a VERY modified Crotch-rocket without a helmet in a tank-top and cut-off's at 100+mph on busy/crouded highways???

- Geeky907

Geeky, yes, most bikes have 'large' tires... In the rear, with the front being 1/2 the size. None of this really matters due to the tires being radiused. Motorcycles ride on a contact patch of a few square inches, thats it. Riding a bike is a symphony of ballance, gyro's and traction. Remove traction from the equasion and it generally means a crash ! Yes, maybe you only drip a little bit, but you stop at a freeway off ramp light and drip a few drops. So does the 10th guy, and the 20th, etc. Along comes a motorcyclist, leans to turn and down he goes if he is unlucky.

I have crashed twice due to fluids on the road; first time resulted in a dislocated shoulder, second just bruises and cosmetic damage to the bike. I have hit oil/antifreeze at least 10 times...

Crotch rockets are the safest bikes to ride as they handle and stop the best, but yes, the idiots who dont wear protective gear much less helmets (shudder) are just asking for it !

B

just never really thought about it...

Without making it specific to you, yes thats the problem. Most people dont think. I worked with a guy who had a leaky autotranny; 1 qt a week at least. When I heard him laughing about just dumping more in all the time I clued him in... To his defense, he pulled the tranny and fixed the leak with in 2 weeks after driving like that for months.

Next time you have the opportunity, watch to see how careful a motorcyclist is at a toll stop (like a bridge or something). The area is so slick from leaky cars it is unreal. I can start from a stop in 2nd or 3rd and lay a smokie for 1-200 feet without trying due to how slick the pavement is... :blink:

B