94 pathfinder frame rust

luvnmypath

About a year ago I replaced the frame on my 94 with a used 95 frame and I contacted Nissan to let them know and that this is a wide spread problem with the 94's. (frame rusts out right over the rear wheel axle) This is what they told me....

they said they haven't had enough complaints about the frame rust problem to do a recall, but if enough 94 Pathfinder owners would make them aware of the problem they would look into recalling the vechicles and we may all get some kind of reimbursement for fixing the frames. So anyone out there who has had this problem should write a letter to Nissian USA and let them know. Even if you didn't repair or replace the frame they still want to know, but you will need the vin # of the vehicle. They are willing to be very cooperative if they have enough data to address the problem. The rep that called me after I sent the letter was very nice and said I should encourage anyone who has had the problem to report it. I sent letters and photos and bills to: Nissan Technical Center North America, 39001 Sunrise Drive, PO Box 9200, Farmington Hills, MI 48333-9200 and a copy to Nissan Consumer Affairs, PO Box 191, Gardena, CA 90248. I also registered a complaint with the NHTSA so that I would have something on record; they had seven other complaints about the exact same rust problem at the time I reported it.

Hell, for those people who live in areas where the roads are salted, or get severe weather, all models have this problem.

I personally don't have this problem but i know lots of people have had the same problem

are we in agreement with this

Thanks much luvnmypathy !!

Ok people, we now have a way to provide feed back to Nissan. A LOT of people have the frame rot issue. Lets FLOOD THEM with with letters. Perhaps we can work up a form letter if you are to lazy to take the time to write one... ;):D

B

(couldn't hurt to mention you read about this at NPORA)

Well i haven't heard of this problem in the 87-93 or 95 models, seems to have affected the 94's. when i was seaching grave yards for a replacement frame all the 94's had the same rust pattern in exactly the same spot. the 95 frame that i eventually dug up was from an north east coast, yard and is solid.

Not to mention that when they changed out the frame none of the bolts or brackets or anything else was rusted. the bolts that hold the body on came right off and went right back on they were solid. also i don't do a lot of driving in bad weather or off roading and when i do i hose the frame and park in the garage. I know, I know, I'm a wimp, but when I need the 4WD in never fails me. Had to pull a 4WD toyota truck out of the snow one winter.

Here's a link to the national highway and transportation safety association, where i found other complaints about the same rust spots on other 94 frames.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...ain/results.cfm if you click on the print version another screen will pop up with the description of each complaint.

Is this just an east coast problem? Has anyone in the mid-west or west coast states had this problem?

my 89 is getting pretty bad. no holes yet. infact the frame is pretty damn good except for right above the rear wheels. its really thin there. MANY pathfinders in the JY around here have been completly rusted through. I do live in Canada, where they salt the roads. I think thats the main problem. does anyone know of an email address so I could email Nissan with pics/Vin. it would be sweeeeet if they fixed it or gave us money to get it fixed.

this is GREAT!

I have examined close to 100 pathfinders in the last 2 years. I live in Cleveland and these Pathys are all east coast units to my knowledge. The rust problem with the frame started in 1990 and progressed to 1995. Each consecutive year got worse. You can find 90 and 91s with no rust still. 1993 are rusted thru at about 25% level. Then most of the 94s are rusted thru. I challenge anyone to find a non rusted 1995. I have NEVER NEVER found a 1995 that did not have atleast a small rust hole thru the frame, or already been repaired. All of the frame shops here in NE Ohio know about the rust problem and very few will repair them, because "they will not accept the liability".

I suspect that southern or west coast pathys do not have the extent of the problem. I can send about 2 dozen pics of different pathys to Nissan and I am lazy (Precise1) but I just might do it.

post-1-1134135568.jpg

ill have to take a look at my 94 when i get back from the eastcoast. (tahnk god my car isnt back here.)

im sure all cars in teh east have a more suseptible problem to rust. they salt the roads like crazy on the east coast.

k9sar, You do live in the Philly area, possibly you may have a small advantage. I would check behind the rear axle and in front by the steering box.

The data I have on the subject says that Nissan started to use more reporcessed steel in the early 90's. While they did not like the inclusion in the steel fo rthe body panels they believed that there was no problem in frame members and axles and crossbeams etc. They also were basing their research on Japanese and west coast data. Obviously this was a big push for them to gain a greater share of the new offroad/SUV market. They already had a good reputationin the truck line. For 96 they changed again to "reduce cost" by eliminating the frame in favor of unibody. What I do not have any data on is the PU tucks.

yea... I'm due to pull the rear wheels off and check my back brakes. Inspection inMarch but it's always nice to know that your rears grab when it's slick out. I'll look while I'm there.

I have NEVER NEVER found a 1995 that did not have atleast a small rust hole thru the frame, or already been repaired.

I replaced my 94 with a 95. My mechanic beat it with a hammer to make sure it was solid before he would put it on. He also sprayed it with a primer and some kind of rust stop paint or something...I knew he'd take care of me so I didn't question all that...beyond the soundness of the frame. I live in Northern MD and the frame came out of a yard in VA.

Anyone who is checking their frame don't just look at it - poke it!! Mine was undercoated out of the factory so it didn't look bad but as soon as they started poking it (with their fingers) it just started to crumble.

I tried the email thing as well but there was no response. I got a reponse in about month after I sent the pics and letter to the addresses I included earlier. If you don't want to send the stuff to nissan you can send me your letters and pics via email and I'll put them in an envelope and send them on. But you have to have your contact info in the letter so they can contact you instead of me.

Check out these pics

post-1-1134157751.jpg

Edited by luvnmypath

Yow, I'm suprised that frame didn't come apart on you !!! :o

I totally understand and agree with you economic assessment of fixing the Pathy, and thats without including sentimental value. I have a 95XE with 115k. Runs like a champ and everything is almost perfect, other than the front frame damage... :blink: Rather than dumping the vehicle, I'm assessing my options as how to fix or circumvent the issue. It will be the most cost effective by far and the truck still has a LOT of life left in it.

B

man im glad i live in the south, my truck is clean to the max, it leaked oil all its life and coated the underside but now that i have and did the basic mantaince and wheeled it alittle it has stopped and all the water mud ive been in has clean the underside (kinda wish all the grease and stuff didnt come off in that but there was nothing i coundve done) but im going to go under there and tap around to make sure theres nothing there

but u guys would be surprised actually, some of the cars that come off the beach here in fla look worse than those pics stupid rich ppl leave them at the condos all year and come back for a week

Well i haven't heard of this problem in the 87-93 or 95 models, seems to have affected the 94's. when i was seaching grave yards for a replacement frame all the 94's had the same rust pattern in exactly the same spot. the 95 frame that i eventually dug up was from an north east coast, yard and is solid.

Mine is a 95 and the rust is so bad the rear end was about to fall off. It still has rust holes infront of the passenger rear tire. The entire frame is ate up with it. Its the most horrible thing I've ever seen. However my 96 Tacoma doesnt have a rust spot on the frame at all.

Edited by PaulsPath

I am corrected by Luvmypath. I did that I never have seen an east coast 1995 without atleast some rust and now I have been proven wrong. Since the frame came out of a VA yard I feel that my statement is still pretty close

Luvmy path, you are the only person I have ever heard of that has changed their complete frame. Anyone else out there?

I'll probably re-frame the truck in spring and I'll pass on all the pics when I'm done.

The only thing that I haven't figured out is how I'm gonna levitate the body in my garage?

Ted.

There is a thread where a guy posted picts of a wooden frame work he built outside to swap bodies... Inside a garage, I'm not sure, but probably something similiar except to go under the body... :shrug:

B

I have a 94 SE with ZERO rust. Here in Idaho they use sand when the roads get slick. I am really lucky though, the previous Pathfinder that I had a 95 SE came from New Jersey, and was really starting to rust, especially under the rear seats. It was starting to come through the underside. So one night when it was snowing I decided to trade it in on a Xterra SC, and the dealer didn't even bother looking for rust :D oh well!

I'd love to see the wooden frame work if anyone can find that pic, in the mean time I'm seeing about 15 or so of my more burly friends and alot of empty beer cans in my garages future! I figure that this will be a good to do the body lift.

• 5 weeks later...
I'll probably re-frame the truck in spring and I'll pass on all the pics when I'm done.

The only thing that I haven't figured out is how I'm gonna levitate the body in my garage?

Ted.

I might need a new frame. If the frame shop doesnt want to fix mine. Or I might just buy another one that needs a tranny. I'd love to see your once you complete it.

Thanks,

Paul

Guest sprint25

i live in southern illinois so salt isn't abig problem,my 91 se doesn't have any rust holes just some surface rust.my brother got his 92 xe last winter,it came from new york state, has around 185000 on it. he got it for $300. the frame above rear axel was rotted and let control arms break loose. rear of body was starting to sag. we got a wrecked 88 and cut the frame under the front doors of both in same place bolted body to new rear frame then welded frames together then put plates around frame and welded them in, finished w/ coat of undercoating. took to alingment? shop -it was almost perfect. now he is buying a 95 se from ohio with same problem guess we'll be doing it again next week this time with a 89 se i bought for parts,it came from down in kentucky and frame is soild on it also. seems crap can get into the frame then plugs drain holes so mud,salt,grit lays in there and never dries out. i try to wash my frame out every month or so. i love these pathfinders, my brother and i have 5 between us.