High Output Alternator options

wheelmanLS1

quest (or villager - cheaper since dom. but the same) is really the best option.. they have the same plug and all.. there are a couple of ways to affix them.. both are good but the other one (not 88's method) seems easier. haven't done that yet but it is in the plans. good luck

when I GET The money and my 3000watt amp if i ever find one im buying a high output alternator. this would be a better post in a car audio forum. anyway there is a guy that lives 3hrs away from me who said he could make me one and all the brackets for it. Im guessin you live in the US but if you look around you can find one. a 200amp alt is good for anythin you wanna power prolly 400can. or 300us? there are high output alts but then you gotta find a dealer for it. sorry i dont got enough info on this. but some car audio shops might make them.

Wheelman,

Do your homework (like you've already begun). My experience with high current alternators is on emergency vehicles. Many, if not most, of them provide very LITTLE current at engine idle. You need to turn at least 1200 engine RPMs to make even 100 amps. They also generate more heat than 60 - 80 amp units.

I don't really know if versions for smaller vehicles have the same issues.

Of course you can overcome both problems. The first with awareness and the second with air flow.

Good luck.

The output of an alternator has to do with it's windings. You can find a reputable shop that knows its stuff about alternators, and rewind it for you to get the desired output. 110A on the Quest is good for most general stuff; Stereo, extra lights, etc. I'd search around in your local yellow pages and call to talk to your local guys before you go searching around. The ones AC sells are just rewound Pathy Alts.

• 5 years later...

Going to bring this back to life since to keep the forums from getting riddled with even more High Output Alternator questions.

Since this last post in 2005 many things have been discovered.

-A Maxima Alty -125 amp

-A Quest Alty - 110 amp

-A Mean Grean Alty -180 amp

-Maniac Alty. -150amp

And that last option I'm pretty sure the Maxima Alty has a 190 amp output so even better. I'm sure there are more. Just added a few for starters.

Edited by Dowser