Problem with AutoLocking Hubs on 95 Pathfinder

95Finder

I am having some problems with my 4wd on my 95 Pathfinder. When I shift out of 4 wheel hi and back into 2 wheel hi it doesn't seem like something in the 4wd system is disengaging on the front passenger side correctly. It almost seems as if the axle is barely disengaged and sliding in and out of the hub, causing loud clunking noises everytime the wheel rotates. It will only happen when I am starting off up to around 15mph. Has anyone had a similar problem. Did you just remove the hubs, clean and regrease them? The noise occurs after I use 4wd....but if I park it for the night, the noise sometimes stops until I use 4wd again. If anybody has any tips please let me know. THanks.

After you disengage 4x, are you backing up to unlock the hubs ? If so, yes, the first step would be to disassemble the hubs, clean everything well, inspect for wear or abnormalities, repack with hi-temp grease and reinstall. See what it does then.

B

After you disengage 4x, are you backing up to unlock the hubs ? If so, yes, the first step would be to disassemble the hubs, clean everything well, inspect for wear or abnormalities, repack with hi-temp grease and reinstall. See what it does then.

B

Yes I am backing up to disengage the hubs. Just seems like when I turn the hub is catching the splines and hitting it out causing a loud clunking sound. I just did my rotors and packed the hubs and all the other components with grease but maybe one of the seals is shot and is letting dust/dirt/water in. I will check it out. Later.

is this when you are turning (cv joint)? If it's just when you are going forward, I'm at a loss other than pull the apart and service them (or replace with manuals). That's be my first reco. careful disassembly, greasing, etc while looing for signs of abnormal wear or foreign matter.

good luck. Let us know what you find.

is this when you are turning (cv joint)? If it's just when you are going forward, I'm at a loss other than pull the apart and service them (or replace with manuals). That's be my first reco. careful disassembly, greasing, etc while looing for signs of abnormal wear or foreign matter.

good luck. Let us know what you find.

Well it seems as though its mostly while I am turning, it only happens after I have used 4wd. Last night it was happening consistently. I parked the truck for the night and today it hasn't happened at all. I am sure if I engage the 4wd and disengage it today the sound will start back up. It seems to be fine once it sits overnight, kinda strange.

I had to mount some tires on rims for my brother today and put them on so I didn't have time. Hopefully I can dissasemble the hubs tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings and some pics. Later.