Exhaust questions

zonianbrat

:unsure: Ok i got a question, i want to take you guys advice and look into puting an exhaust system to eliminate bp and give more power. I have a friend that works in a muffler shop, and says he can put duals after the cat-converter is this going to give me power or do i have to go from the engine, i want to know what my options are and maybe pricing if you guys know, I am not worried about how it sounds. i am not a big fan of the rapping out i have heard on other nissan's. Also what do you guys think of the tornado inserts for the intake system. i am puting a cone on this weekend and wonder if i should get one or if it is a waste of money. -study-

You won't gain much by splitting to duals after the cat, probably nothing more than 2.2.5 or 2.5" single pipe all the way back. The same probably goes for duals all the way back. This is only a 3.0 liter motor, the extra pipe is generally just considered more weight and liability off road, not to mention the extra expense. I believe the best set up is a better breathing intake, headers, high flow cat and a good muffler like flow master or magna flow. Cat back will help, but the real key are headers. Read this thread and the link in it, it should clarify things a bit more.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6457&hl=

B

You're gonna have a hard time finding headers for your '97. From what I understand...Stillen used to make headers but they are no longer manufactured. Nonetheless, replacing the cat, muffler, & pipe to 2.25" or 2.5" will make a difference - albeit not as much as if you could open the flow up from the intake all the way back. Duals could create a situation where there is not enough back pressure and you will actually lose power in your bottom end.

I have heard the same about the Tornado...you can read a review from someone who did actual HP/MPG tests on the product here.

:clap: Thanks for the link and the advice about the tornado. Now i know not to waste my money on it. I am just looking for little ways to get a little more power. finding headers is hard not to mention $$$$$ i guess i will start with a cone filter and changing plugs and wires first.